Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

A proposed workflow for top-down modeling

caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
edited September 2014 in Using Onshape
The concept of Part Studios to develop several parts as multiple bodies is a very powerful one.
However, keeping track of different bodies and associated features can become quite difficult on more intricate designs.
So here's a workflow I propose. Central to this idea is the ability to publish parts and geometry from a Part Studio to other Part Studios.
  • Block out the main components with proper relationships and parameters in the main Part Studio.
  • Set the main Part Studio to Layout (or Skeleton) mode, so that it cannot be used directly in final design and assemblies.
  • Consider the parts created as references for what will be the final parts.
  • Publish parts (and references) to new Part Studios to complete and detail the design of each part.
  • This process can be repeated on 'sub parts' for very intricate designs.
I think these are the main benefits over traditional top-down assembly approaches:
  • much clearer references
  • impossible to create reference loops
  • harder to get into 'out-of-context' situations
Dries
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    per_anders_daergaper_anders_daerga Member Posts: 1
    Hello Dries,
    I'm trying to find out wether Onshape is capable and suitable for very large asembly modeling like buildings using top-down modeling techniques, .. and then I came across your post. I would like to learn more about your suggested workflow as it seems to be a robust method with a structured workflow allowing for both parametrisation and modularization (for example equation and sketch driven wall, floor and roof modules) and that can be scaled up to large models. It is also essential that the models can be duplicated and reused over and over. Can you elaborate more on the workflow? Maybe you have any examples I can look at?

Best regards,
    Per-Anders Daerga
    New to Onshape