Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

In-Context Modeling of Linear Pattern

mark_proulxmark_proulx Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
I'm modeling a portion of a home structure.  I need to punch a hole through several courses of siding to accommodate a window.  I modeled the first siding piece in a Part Studio and inserted it into an assembly.  I then, within the assembly, created a linear pattern for the other siding courses.   I would now like to punch a hole in the siding to accommodate the window opening.  Is this possible, or must I model each course of siding as a part and modify each in context?  I've attached a photo to clarify the situation.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I believe you need separate parts as an edit in Context will affect every instance of that single part that you've used.
    Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    you could create a version at this state and branch for different cuts. Change corresponding instance references to the version or corresponding branches, then cut in context on branches. 
  • mark_proulxmark_proulx Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Okeydoke. Thank you.
  • Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    edited October 2018
    I may differ from a lot of users here, but I model almost my entire assembly in the part studio, including patterned instances of the same part. This is especially true when I'm using the Beam Feature Script, which I would be using if I was modeling the home structure. The reason is I often have features that end up putting holes in, splitting, or cutting those patterned or duplicated instances which makes many of them unique parts. After I have finished modeling I will do a mass delete of all non-unique/duplicate parts.
  • Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    I agree with @Cris_Bowers here.  I would do a linear pattern of the siding in the part studio and then Boolean out the window opening.

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto on @Cris_Bowers thought. You can always delete the non-unique parts in the part studio and then pattern only those parts in the assembly.