Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Biconic surfaces

I need to create a "biconic" surface, i.e. an ellipse in each principal plane, but different ellipses for x and y. I think it's a bad idea (futile?) to try to do it with ellipses and lofts or rotations. Need to just make a featurescript that defines z(x,y) algebraically, and smoothly interpolates through a (user-specified) number of samples points in x,y.
Does any one have such a FS?

Best Answer

Answers

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    edited October 2018 Answer ✓
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have Variable section sweep FS see the description in this thread

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
  • erich_grossmanerich_grossman Member Posts: 3
    This creates uniform ellipsoids (same profile in the x-z and y-z planes). Sorry I wasn't clear enough with my question.
    Erich 
    edited October 2018
    This creates uniform ellipsoids (same profile in the x-z and y-z planes). 
    Not as far as I can tell.

Notice Transform 1 feature doing non-uniform scaling.

I added xRadius, yRadius, zRadius variables to explicitly control the ellipses.
    If this is still not what you wanted, please sketch the profiles you want to fit and share the document here.
  • erich_grossmanerich_grossman Member Posts: 3
    Lana, This is a somewhat complicated bit of solid geometry, and I'm honestly not sure whether a triaxial ellipsoid (semidiameters a,b,c in the x,y,z direction), which is what nonuniformly scaling a sphere would give, is or is not equivalent to what I want. I'm coming from an optics context, where ellipses are characterized by R (vertex curvature) and delta (conic constant). The surface I want is a prolate ellipsoid (-1<delta<0) in the x-z plane and an oblate ellipsoid (delta>1) in the y-z plane. I have to get this *algebraically exactly* right since this an optical mirror, not just "looks right". I know that there is more than one way to interpolate between the two profiles, and I know the algebraic formula for the one I want, while I don't know exactly (algebraically) how OnShape would do it. For now, I will use Mahir's FS to do the algebraically correct thing. I would like to work out algebraically if the non-uniform scaling approach would work, but am not sure I'll have time.
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    Scaling a sphere, like Lana (who is one of our top geometry experts, btw) suggests should yield an ellipsoid to machine precision (an ellipsoid *is* an affinely transfomed sphere -- you can specify it in multiple ways, but there is always an affine transform of a unit sphere that will get you any desired ellipsoid).  Mahir's FS will give a worse approximation to an ellipsoid if you pass in the ellipsoid equations, because it works by sampling and interpolating.

If however, what you want is not actually an ellipsoid, but rather some other oblong shape, non-uniform scaling won't give you the right result, and the custom feature will be the best you can do.  If you post your equation, chances are we'll be able to tell pretty quickly if it yields an actual ellipsoid or not.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc