Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Surfaces and solid objects in a multibody part translated into a step file.

walter_steffewalter_steffe Member Posts: 3
In my application (preparing a model for an electromagnetic modeler) I am typically working with assemblies of multibody parts
which may include solids and surfaces. The surfaces are typically used to define boundary conditions and as splitting tools.
The geometry defined in the CAD is then transferred to the EM simulator using a step file.
It is  important that object names (solids and surfaces) are preserved in the step file.

Up to now this has been done using Catia V5 and I was wondering if it can be done also with Onshape.
So I have imported a step file generated by Catia just to see if Onshape can handle the data structure required by my application.
Unfortunately all the surface objects were missing. The solid bodies have been imported but with wrong names (part name plus a numeric index instead of the original body name).

Is there something that can be done in order to create multibody parts composed of solids ans surfaces and to transfer these data (including names) into a step file ?

Thanks
Walter Steffè