Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to reference a part?

gary_piengary_pien Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
I'm new to CAD/CAM so perhaps I am not thinking about this the right way. I want to create several parts, for example:

Part A = a cylinder
Part B = Part A modified with added wings
Part C = Part A modified with holes

I want to be able to change part A (let's say the diameter of the cylinder), and have Parts B and C automatically updated with the new geometry. Is fhere a way to do this? Currently, I duplicate Part A in order to create Part B, but then they become two independent copies - changes to A do not affect B.

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited December 2018
    HI.

Good news, this is easily doable, the hard thing is deciding which method to chose. :)

(1) Derive part A into another parstudio and turn part A into B there.  That way changes to A will be reflected in B
    (2) Use configurations in the one and only part studio to add / suppress / change features to build either Part A, B or C. (My preference.)
    (3) Project geometry from Part A onto a new sketch with the "Use" function to build Part B.  Again changes to A reflected in B automatically.

Shout if you need help.

OwS.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • gary_piengary_pien Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Thank you! I think solutions (1) and (2) are what I am looking for. I did not realize there was a "derive" function!
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    gary_pien said:
    Thank you!
    Sure thing.
    gary_pien said:
    I did not realize there was a "derive" function!
    Hey, Onshape has infinite undo (seriously) so just hit every button and see what it does  :p

O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173

Hey, Onshape has infinite undo (seriously) so just hit every button and see what it does  p 

Yes!  This is the comfort level we're shooting for!
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc