Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Asymmetric Extrude? (or "Both Directions")

christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
Hello! There is no "Asymmetric" for "Extrude", but there is a "Two directions" for a "Revolve"?! Sure, create an offset plane, sketch and then extrude, but that puts the driving dimensions in two features.
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited June 2015
    I have symmetric option in extrude, so I suppose you do too?

But if there wasn't I would use the same sketch for two extrusions one to the other direction and one in other.. Just click the eye-icon to show sketch for selecting to another extrude.

//rami
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    Extrude defaults as asymmetric and has a drop down option of symmetric.
  • Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Hi @christopher_owens this a walkaround, you got me thinking indeed there is no asymmetric extrude option but I wanted to see if it was possible to to do something close with offset planes only  (No additional sketches needed) and controlling its dimensions. Below a video hope it`s clear. 

http://recordit.co/mVjUy0OBjZ

PS: Guys at OS what tool do you use to capture GIF videos ?

Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    Maybe I should of used the word "Unsymmetrical"!! or 'Blind'-'Both Sides'. I think that was in SolidWorks...
  • Options
    Thanks! I thought of the 'Move Face' option last night!
  • Options

Glad I asked! christopher_owens said:
    Maybe I should of used the word "Unsymmetrical"!! or 'Blind'-'Both Sides'. I think that was in SolidWorks...

• Options
    edited June 2015
    @jakeramsley ; @lougallo  Could one get a Badge for "Asking A Question" that leads to an update???