Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to error descripton on Onshape

luis_garcialuis_garcia Member Posts: 6
Hi,
I am pretty new to Onshape, but after spend some time working on the platform I realized that errors are a little bit cryptic. As an example, when you import a file (STEP, IGES,...) if the automatic translation fails you receive a notification telling you no more than the translation has failed. If this messages where improved then users probably could take actions to solve the problem, or at least you would know if there is any problem with your file or the problem is on Onshape servers.

Thank you.

Comments

• john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    Hi Luis. You are exactly right. Our translation feedback in the presence of errors is pretty weak. We have several tickets logged in our development tracking system about making this better, but they just haven't made it to the top of the list yet. 

Let me go take a look at them and bump the priority if needed. Thank you for your feedback. :-)

-John
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.