Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Background changing from white to black on Chrome and overall performance

Hi guys,

When I am playing around in the part environment the background shows up black for me until I mouse over the part and then it turns white. As soon as the cursor leaves the part and hovers back over the background it turns black again. Not sure if this is a known issue, but it happened at home and at work for me. I gotta say it's fairly annoying to try to work with as I might have a seizure soon.

Also, I think this is amazing that I'm using CAD in the cloud and it's working. By working I mean I can use the application, but it's not all that fun. There is significant lag to the point where I would not enjoy using this regularly to design. Definitely feel like I'm on a 8 year old laptop running CAD. Obviously this is early release so I expect there is plenty of optimization and polish to come. I thought it could have been my pathetically slow home internet connection, but my work connection is significantly faster (100MB speedtest result: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3784908198) and it still performs the same.

My computer is a dell m4700, i7-3940XM with 16gb ram, SSD, etc.. so my hardware isn't too bad. I'm sure you are all aware, but just figured I'd mention it myself. I am using google chrome as my browser. Are there things I can do to optimize the browser for better performance?

Comments

• Options
    joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    Hey Brandon

You are located in Mountain View? just wanted to verify that. Also I wonder if you might be willing to try a different browser, just to see if these issues you are seeing are browser specific. Firefox will work

One of the first things I do is try different browsers. Every once in a while there is an extension, or add in or just some particular webpage in one of the tabs that causes the whole browser grief.

You are correct that we have a lot of performance enhancements still to go. Lots of things we already have planned and I am sure lots we will still discover. I think its safe to say it will only get faster from this point on. Make no mistake we plan to be faster than any desktop application. Onshapes architecture is going to allow us do to things a traditional CAD application cannot even dream of...

But right now I think the performance is typically on par with the desktop experience. Not 100% of course. But the typical experience is one where it becomes indistinguishable from a typical desktop application. That is one of the most impressive aspects of Onshape. You don't even feel like you are in a typical browser app.

so lets see if we can figure this out.

Joe
    Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    john_mceleneyjohn_mceleney Onshape Employees Posts: 57
    Brandon,

I think Joe may be right, what version of Chrome are you running?

John
  • Options
    BrandonshapeBrandonshape Member Posts: 7
    At the time of that email i was on Version 37.0.2062.120 m, I just upgraded to Version 37.0.2062.124 m and it is still doing the white and black background as described before.

Correct, my work is located in Mountain View. I haven't tried firefox yet, I don't have it installed on here but I'll see if I can throw it on and try it when I get a chance. I closed a few more programs and the latency seemed to be helped by that at least. I don't know if it's a resources thing or a connection speed issue, but it was slightly improved from when I tried it before.

Also just to clarify, I have a K2000m graphics card in my computer too. I'll keep you guys posted if I see any different behavior else where.
  • Options
    Keep us posted.

I also wanted to emphasize one thing, since its counter intuitive. Onshape is not that sensitive to bandwidth speed. We designed it specifically so it could tolerate many different internet conditions. It was one of the main goals we set out to accomplish. Unlike some applications like say GotoMeeting or Netflix, Onshape is very efficient about that information is being sent back and forth via internet. It really is part of the "secret sauce". I have used it tethered to my phone with 1 bar, on the wifi in the airplane etc... They all work without any significant degradation in performance.

Its not magic, there is a threshold where internet connection will directly effect Onshape. But I have a feeling your issue is something else. We will figure it out.

Joe
  • Options
    BrandonshapeBrandonshape Member Posts: 7
    Thats pretty interesting to hear Joe, yea I imagine you guys have some pretty impressive bandwidth funneling. Just to keep you updated on a ticket I have with Andy Morris, I installed firefox and the performance was dramatically better. Not sure why, but no more black background and the performance was much more in line with what I would expect. Interesting!

Also turning off optimus seemed to improve performance, even in Solidworks!
  • Options
    So something in chrome is the culprit. I have had the same issue. If you are OK with just using Firefox then you are all set. But if you wanted to figure out what is going on with chrome. you can try a couple things.

Disable all extensions
    Upgrade to chrome 64bit.

The 64 bit is in beta still. However I have found it to be pretty good. you will have to do a search for this based on your OS.

Joe