Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Need help with mates and gear relation please

tarek_mustafatarek_mustafa Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
Hallo All, I learned a bit about gear design and created 2 gears with a gear ration of 2.5. I would like to do a visual test to see if I got the drawing based of my calculation right but I can't get the mates to work.

Please can someone help me to assign mates to the gears so I see them spin? A short step by step instructions would also be vert much appreciated!
I have made the document public.

Thank you!
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    Hi @nav , thanks for your reply. Yes I looked into the tutorial but unfortunately this didn't help me. If possible I don't like to model a support structure I just want to connect the two gears and see if they rotate correctly.
  • Options
    david_sohlstromdavid_sohlstrom Member, Mentor Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    You need a hole in the center of each gear. Then you need a third part with 2 holes in it at the correct center distance for the gear pitch. Once you have that you mate 1 gear to each of the holes with a rotating mate. Next you go to the gear relation tool and choose the gear type. In your case spur gears. In the tool you set the gear ration and then you have it. This all has to be done in an assembly of course.
    If the gear teeth do not match up then you go in and rotate one of the mates so the gears mesh correctly.
    once all of this is done you can grab one of the gears and rotate it and the other gear will rotate at the correct ration. If you put a small hole out close to the teeth of each gear it makes it easier to see if your ratio is correct.

Hope this helps

Dave 
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Make revolute mates with respect to the origin.  Make two explicit mate connectors, one that is at the origin and one that is offset in one direction by (D1 + D2) / 2.  From here, make the revolutes with respect to those mate connectors.  Put the two revolutes in a gear mate with a ratio of 2.5 and start spinning them.

For example:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/53bddf1068004057bd194191/w/7b9f3a41b660461c881d3b32/e/2c97adf316ce4ad2a88e6c01
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    Hi @jakeramsley that is a Solution I was looking for but unfortunately I can not make it work using your description and example. I keep looking into this to figure it out. Thank you!
  • Options
    Hi @david_sohlstrom thank you for your Solution. I am looking for something that @jakeramsley described and try now to make it work. Thank you!
  • Options
    Excellent thank you all!