Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Moving an assembly and multiple drawings that all reference the same part studio to a new document

edward_petrilloedward_petrillo Member Posts: 78 EDU
I wish to move an assembly, the referenced parts studios, and the drawings for all of the contained parts from an original document to a new document.  The steps described in an earlier discussion do not appear to offer a solution.  When  the drawing of part 1 is moved or copied, a copy of the referenced part studio is moved or copied as well.  When part 2 (which references the same part studio as part 1) is moved, a second copy of the referenced part studio is moved as well.  When an assembly containing these parts is moved or copied, an additional copy of the PS moves also.  This process, if extended to all of the parts in an assembly, results in a new document with as many identical parts studios as there are drawings, plus one more. The new document is effectively useless for updating parts and drawings.  Have I overlooked something?  Is there a workflow that accomplishes the result I am looking for?

The most intuitively simple process would be to bring drawings as well as parts studios  along when moving or copying an assembly to a new document.

Comments

• kevin_elliottkevin_elliott Member Posts: 7 PRO
    If you're truly interested in a fresh new workspace, you may wish to try Right-clicking on the document in your document list and selecting "Copy workspace". You'll have a complete duplicate workspace and can then cull anything you don't want/need. I believe references stay internal to the copy and will not breach/effect the original workspace.

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @edward_petrillo
    The earlier discussion link in your post is dead, so it is not clear which functionality you are referring to. What you are describing sounds like Move to document. If you are careful planning the move, you should be able to get what you want. Using side panel select assembly and all drawing that you want to be moved, they would bring the part studios with them.

There will be no copies remaining in this workspace. This is indeed a move. If you can not achieve the behavior you are looking for, please share the document with support and publish link here with precise description of what you need to achieve.  Some-one would help you.