Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Assemble configurations - modular PSU help.

P2i_EngineerP2i_Engineer Member Posts: 1
Hello,

I am trying to make a user library, for this I am making a configurable assembly for a standard modular PSU.

The PSU will have options for upto 10 slots, the first is always a PSU, the others are a Expansion Unit [3 typres], Buffer Unit [4 types] or a UPS interface [1].

My first approach [Option 1] tries to get the person to select a type and count, I have done the first slot but it seems messy to expand to the full range.

My second attempt [option 2] inserts another configured assembly for each of the slot and lets the user select the unit type, this is nicer but again is a lot of repition in the configuration for each slots configuration.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a better method of doing the configuration that will reduce the repition?

Also is it possible to create a depend selection [i.e. select slot 2 to be a Expansion module and then only the expansion module will be available to select].

Comments

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    As far as I know, you can't configure which configuration options are presented based on another configuration input. With 10 slots I can't think of a way that won't get messy, but here's what I would do.

• In your assembly, have 1 configurable PSU, 9 configurable Buffer/Expansion units. The 9 units need to be either Buffer or Expansion, so you'll have to create a container assembly that has all 7 options (4+3) as a configuration.
    • 1 configuration option (dropdown or integer input) that allows you to select the number of slots. This option will control the suppression state of the each slot.
    • 9 slot configuration dropdowns with 7 options each. This will select how the slot is populated. However, depending on how many slots you have selected in the first option, a number of these dropdowns will have no real effect.