Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can I archive a local copy of a model?

Bob_2Bob_2 Member Posts: 3
If I want to archive a local copy of one of my CAD models for safe keeping, how do I do that?  It doesn't look like there is a native file format to export for Onshape and the formats that are supported seem like they can lose information from the model.

Answers

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Bob_2 Currently exporting out from Onshape is done by tab.  We do not yet make available an archive format of the native Onshape document, which is cloud-based. Since the service updates frequently, the archive might be out of date.  It is an interesting request but currently file-based (geometry only) is the current option.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited June 2015
    It would be nice feature to be able to create 'one click' local backup for whole document. Restore would be needed too.
    I think this would give better sleep at night for those who think their harddrive is safer place than Ons cloud.

I personally sleep better when I know my stuff is safe in cloud and not just local hdd. But I would still like this feature for critical documents in case of serious human error or stolen credentials.
    //rami
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    3dcad said:
    It would be nice feature to be able to create 'one click' local backup for whole document. Restore would be needed too.
    I think this would give better sleep at night for those who think their harddrive is safer place than Ons cloud.
    What do you consider the "whole document" to be?  Part of our architecture is being able to bounce through history, branches, and versions.  Are you hoping to download a local copy of everything?

I guess I'm not really sure what a "local copy" does for a user.  To me, it looks like the data is only relevant if it is being viewed through our product.  Having the data on a local harddrive isn't readable, so I am not sure how much use it is if it needs to be re-imported to our servers.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not worried about the security of the cloud as much as to whom I'm sharing with. I would like to be able to save a copy of an entire document to be able to return to in the instance that someone I may be sharing with screws something up. What I mean by the entire document includes all of the branches/workspaces and history. basically an identical copy.
  • Options
    I suppose there wouldn't as much an issue and i would actually prefer if my clients could use the follow-me mode without having edit privileges.
  • Options
    There are a number of reasons to want a local copy.  For starters, there is more to life than CAD--I know, I know, what a terrible thing to say!  But there are ecosystems that live off file access.  You can argue and try to legislate that this will not be possible with OnShape and that such an ecosystem must use an API in the Cloud.  The trouble is, in so doing, you will slow down the creation of the ecosystem and limit it to those willing to put their own apps in the Cloud. Or, you will push many to use someone else's file format for the ecosystem--for example Solidworks.  Neither is particularly good for OnShape.

The second problem is that many customers will have contractual requirements that they be in control of their data.  That means local backups.  Again, we can argue that these are not useful, but I don't know that it is an effective argument in these cases.  I have certainly personally experienced cases where having a local backup of Cloud data was useful because something happened in the Cloud that caused a loss of data.  Being able to reload and re-access using the Cloud app was a great comfort.  

All the major Cloud vendors allow export of data for such purposes, even though that have far less local-disk friendly data than CAD software.  For example, Enterprise Software that is largely database records.  It's part of what companies know to ask for when they start looking at Cloud solutions.
  • Options
    @jakeramsley Yes, complete copy of whole document to be able to restore exactly the same state as it is in the time of backup. File would be meant to use with restoring it to Onshape cloud only.

I see this similar to having a backup copy of your webstore database, it is not accessible or easily readable or up-to-date file when stored in your harddrive - but for some reason it is recommended to have those backups. It is more likely that the disk for backups will die before it is needed but if you can backup your critical files with only a cost of harddrives, you feel very stupid not doing so if it was ever needed.

Onshape people, trust me, just do simple one button entire document backup/restore function. It will save you a lot of time prooving people of cloud being safer solution than local copy. You can always end the discussion with: "Of course you can always backup your data locally and restore into Onshape anytime".
    //rami
  • Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    I think this is an important discussion and I don't think there is an easy answer. (To be clear I think we are talking about onshapes internal format and not any of the formats we can currently, or in the future, export to...)

Some people asking for backup capability don't understand version control. They will always be pushing for 'backups' and we will always be gently educating them that we have made progress since the days of floppy disks.

A 'local' copy of onshape data is useless without their cloud platform. And I really don't want them to waste their limited resources on maintaining migration/import tools for a million versions.

On the other hand, I have run a lot of old versions of software because new versions were 'improved' to uselessness (skype) or the company was acquired or folded. I know that no one at Onshape wants their baby defiled but some years from now when the venture backers are ready for their fat exit, it will happen. And good and bad things will follow. Probably no better example of what will happen than Dassault acquiring Solidworks.

If Onshape had more resources, I'd push for them to develop an open format for history based cad data. I think their business model could handle it.

In this day and age there is no excuse for ignorance regarding data security (protecting data from both baddies and accidents). I know the Onshape guys are not ignorant and I know that their upstream cloud substrate vendors are not ignorant. So I'm not worried that a flooded data center or script kiddie with squirrel hax are going to get at my IP. And there's good reason to expect that my secretary and the old forgotten backup hard disk on the shelf are the weak points in my data security anyway.

It would be interesting for Onshape to allow me to pay for extra redundancy if I need.

For peace of mind I'd like Onshape to publish a little more info on their contingency plans; enough that I know they have it under control, not enough for the info to be used against them. This is a start: https://www.onshape.com/security and there's enough public info on their upstream providers to guess how well they will be able to react to natural disaster or political instability.

For now, I'm happy that the level of security they provide is adequate for what I might use it for. There are couple types of work that I would not use Onshape for. That's fine.

Bottom line, I don't want to download a local copy.

• Options
    Traveller Hauptman, there is absolutely nothing about version control that prevents backup.  The two issues are completely orthogonal.  As a matter of fact, Github themselves recommend you take backups and there are no end of facilities to simplify the process of doing so.

The fact that a local backup of the native file format might be useless without Onshape is also no reason to discard the baby with the bath water-- there are plenty of scenarios that deliver value from the backup by reloading it to Onshape.

The idea that Onshape may do a better job with security than you could is also not a great excuse for not having the ability to backup.  There are no end of companies out there that have made mistakes, been hacked, or had problems of one kind or another that one could argue know more than any of their customers about it.  Nevertheless, a backup would've been darned handy in the aftermath of those situations.

In the end of the day, these arguments about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin if there is no backup may not even matter.  You may simply be confronted with customers whose own standards and audit procedures require that you have your own backup of the data or that they must be able to receive a backup.  That's another reason why almost every SaaS vendor offers a mechanism to deal with the problem.  It's something I've seen up close and personal having been responsible for R&D or CEO of multiple SaaS vendors.  It's tough to argue with purchasing, the lawyers, and various customer's hard-earned scar tissue about why, "This time it's different."  

The ability to backup is something that's table stakes for a SaaS vendor to ante up.
  • Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    I'm not saying that version control prevents backup. I'm saying that of the many reasons people make a copy of data, one of those reasons is to checkpoint the work, to save a specific state that can be returned to later. I think there are a sub-group of people that say they want to backup but really mean they want version control, which is already there.

Github recommending backups be taken is new to me and my first impression is that it makes no sense, but I'm always keen to learn. Do you have a link to this I can use to educate myself with?

I agree with you that there will be organizations and people that want a local copy of Onshape native data and that it will be non-negotiable. However, not every customer is a good one. Selling cloud based CAD to customers that don't understand how the cloud is different than the computers on their own desk might not be worth the trouble. It's up to Onshape to decide whether they want to serve those potential customers.

Onshape manages the backups for me. Just like they manage installation, security, upgrades, and all the other administrative headaches that software (and data) on my own computer brings. That's what SaaS is all about.

It's true that there are companies that cut corners and that there are SaaS companies that have failed to properly secure their data. I think that you address this with due diligence rather than trying to do part of your vendors job for them.
  • Options
    I'm not saying that version control prevents backup. I'm saying that of the many reasons people make a copy of data, one of those reasons is to checkpoint the work, to save a specific state that can be returned to later. I think there are a sub-group of people that say they want to backup but really mean they want version control, which is already there.

My purpose of a copy is not actually to save it locally on my system. I just wish to save a copy of a document in which I intend to share and show in the follow me mode. Unfortunately to be able to share and show I must allow edit privileges. Therefore if an errant irreversible edit is made by this user I would then have something to fall back on. Also there appears to be an issue with making copies in that only the active version branch is saved and not the entire document and all history is lost in the copying process.

What I'm requesting is to be able to make a copy of an entire document with at least the version branches intact and hopefully the history, basically an exact duplicate which doesn't sound unreasonable or difficult.

The other request is that the follow me mode should be allowed with view and comment privileges as well as with edit privileges. Then I would be able to collaborate with a client, vendor coworker without having to worry about unwanted changes to my document.  

• Options
    stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    Great discussion......tagging on.
    Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    laird_broadfieldlaird_broadfield Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I'm with @traveler_hauptman that versioning is the right answer to versioning -- my own interest in an offline copy is related to the planned crippling of the free edition.  

Although my hobby use might actually lead to adoption at my workplace, the hobby use can't justify paid edition.  With the plans as they have been stated for the Free edition, and no way to offline-archive (and potentially later restore) my older designs, I would have to throw away old work anytime I did new work.  At that point, I'm better off switching to a tool that allows some form of archiving.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    100gb is not bottomless either if there is a lot of related material saved in document tabs..

or if document ownership is moved to another user (this could have also better ways to achieve)

But the main reason would still be peace of mind to sceptic people who like to see where things are and that way feel better about using Onshape. This is just my experience as a cad software reseller since 2006.
    //rami
  • Options
    martin_cardermartin_carder Member Posts: 4
    Why are questions relating to storing native files locally being ignored?

In my opinion you should be able to select a live version or revision of the design (just like SW pack and go) and store it natively on a local hard-drive (including the history tree and associativity). Then Onshape should have an import wizard to import older archived files to work with the latest version with history tree intact.

We have over 2TB of CAD/FEA data stored, archived and backed up and would not be happy having "ALL" of this data exposed on the cloud given that we have strict confidentiality agreements with our clients and also may need the data should we have a claim on our Professional Indemnity Insurance. What happens if Onshape go bust or are bought out or hacked? e.g. Delcam acquired by Autodesk, Sensable acquired by Geomajic etc......

Bearing in mind some of our data is safety critical and have a legal obligation to store files, Is it just too much of a risk relying on the Cloud and Onshape?

I am frustrated as I love the concept of your software it just falls short for the legal risk and requirements for an Engineering Design Consultancy.

Comments please.

Thank you
  • Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    @martin_carder I'm curious...  Can you explain more specifically about data on the "cloud" being "exposed"?

Also, what's wrong with something like step files of models and PDFs of drawings being stored locally, but the "native" resides only in the "cloud"?  The conundrum you describe is always one that will exist when data is created and edited in it's own proprietary format.  You allude to that fact by your extension with regards to Delcam and Geomagic.  This is not a cloud/non cloud issue here, it exists with any software product that creates data in this way.  If my current mainstream design tool went defunct today, I would be creating STEP files of the models and shopping for a new 3D CAD product tomorrow.  I already have the PDF files of the 2D drawings.  (the current mainstream tool is starting to really work on making itself defunct, so I have plans thought out on how to migrate).

Keep in mind.... native data in Onshape is not file-based like current products you may be familiar with.  There are extremely good reasons for it being this way in Onshape, and I suspect underlying and supporting the exact things you love in the software.

I'm curious... Can you explain the legal risk and requirements for Engineering Design Consultancy?

These are not tongue and cheek questions, I'm trying to understand what exactly you would be trying to address. 
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if you have kids, @pete_yodis, but as a thought experiment:

1) Would you be as relaxed about their safety if they always slept at a "safe" location which was not your home?
    2) Would their grandparents understand you answering question 1 with a "Yes", if some harm happened to them, at some future date? 
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    I guess what I'm trying to pin down here is this: is the "cloud vs local" storage question simply about relative levels of safety?

.... or is it also about more complicated things, including (but not limited to) delegating of responsibility, and verifiability of safety, particularly in the context of holding things (in trust) for others? 

Here's a less emotive analogy than my last attempt.

I recall once, in a mountain rescue situation, when I lent a piece of important safety equipment to another person in whom I had complete trust.
    It was the sort of item you can only trust if it has not been subjected to misuse, and some sorts of misuse would only be evident if witnessed at the time.

When I went to get it back, I found he had lent it to another person, in whom he had complete trust. 

To me, that was a serious betrayal of my trust.

It's not intended to be an accurate analogy, and it certainly doesn't prove anything, but it might just get some logs rolling for people who have no clue what the resistance to cloud storage might be about, for certain business models.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Keep in mind.... native data in Onshape is not file-based like current products you may be familiar with.  There are extremely good reasons for it being this way in Onshape, and I suspect underlying and supporting the exact things you love in the software.

I'm pretty sure Onshape stores data into database. This is no reason why document data couldn't be easily gathered and stored into downloadable file.

And what happens if Onshape suddenly goes down or changes at some point in future? If there is enough of these backup's, there will be code to view and export them into another format. This is the power of internet.

What would you do if you don't have local backups and someday onshape.com just says: 'Domain for sale, click here to acquire' ?
    What can you do if you live in another side of the world?

Nobody wants it and it isn't likely, but think of what can happen if, say, the plane from 'Onshape to cad conference' crashes?

This is the worst case scenario, but I don't understand why we couldn't have possibility to create also local backup - it doesn't take anything away from Onshape being full cloud cad with built inside PDM and versioning.

That why I created IR for this, vote if you like.
    https://onshape.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/207464077-Local-backup-of-entire-document
    //rami
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    3dcad said:
      What would you do if you don't have local backups and someday onshape.com just says: 'Domain for sale, click here to acquire' ?
    What can you do if you live in another side of the world?

@3dcad God forbid Onshape would not be available in the future, but if it isn't how would native Onshape data be of use to you when you don't have a system to run it on?  In that scenario I think what you want is not native storage of data, but storage of data that is neutral so that you could get it into another system that wouldn't be able to use native Onshape data.  Would you want your data to be portable to another system?
  • Options
    I don't know if you have kids, @pete_yodis, but as a thought experiment:

1) Would you be as relaxed about their safety if they always slept at a "safe" location which was not your home?
    2) Would their grandparents understand you answering question 1 with a "Yes", if some harm happened to them, at some future date? 
    That depends on where "home" is.  For most companies that I run across that think their data is safer under their thumbs, I find they are not aware enough of how data is treated so far above and beyond what they could do by a company like Amazon.  Because of that, they don't realize the massive rewards of being far more efficient while actually having improved their risk profile.  That is my current day job, and it's a willing effort by some to not want to look reality in the eyes and really understand it.  The "cloud" is nebulous, unknown, scary.  It becomes easier to stay with what you know, because it's comfortable.  That comfortability, if it's not challenged by the potential and reward of doing it better ways - then becomes the situation where it is more risky not to change and be made current by better ways.  A lot of this is really a discussion of the perception of risk, and maybe not really risk itself.

The complete mitigation of risk in my children's life is not my ultimate goal with them, and it leads to children that haven't experienced enough and met enough diversity in life.  It doesn't allow them to be all that they could be.  I want a reasonable level of risk with a good level of experiences for them.  My kids are arrows in my quiver that I am shooting out into the world so that they can do great things, both for their benefit and the world's.
  • Options
    @3dcad God forbid Onshape would not be available in the future, but if it isn't how would native Onshape data be of use to you when you don't have a system to run it on?  In that scenario I think what you want is not native storage of data, but storage of data that is neutral so that you could get it into another system that wouldn't be able to use native Onshape data.  Would you want your data to be portable to another system?
    pete, I was mostly just writing what came into my head when thinking of the worst possible case. I must admit that those thoughts might cause even myself to get a bit confused what kind of safe mechanism would cover all the situations.
    But still I think the whole document with everything in it should be able to download as a backup file. Maybe cad data should be stored in step/parasolid format together with native?
    Current export system is too laborous if you have dozens of tabs filled with multipart-studios and when we really start using what Onshape provides, we are probably going to have a lot more than just cad models stored in our documents.
    I think you know it better than me how much data there is going to be after say 15 years..

Do you think it's all good for next 20 years as it is currently (data is in cloud, no local backups, business relies completely on access to cloud servers)?
    //rami
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    3dcad said:
    pete, I was mostly just writing what came into my head when thinking of the worst possible case. I must admit that those thoughts might cause even myself to get a bit confused what kind of safe mechanism would cover all the situations.
    But still I think the whole document with everything in it should be able to download as a backup file. Maybe cad data should be stored in step/parasolid format together with native?
    Current export system is too laborous if you have dozens of tabs filled with multipart-studios and when we really start using what Onshape provides, we are probably going to have a lot more than just cad models stored in our documents.
    I think you know it better than me how much data there is going to be after say 15 years..

Do you think it's all good for next 20 years as it is currently (data is in cloud, no local backups, business relies completely on access to cloud servers)?
    I understand @3dcad This thread is a nice discussion for all the emotions, feelings, expectations, issues of what's practical, what's possible, what's really needed etc...  I don't have hard answers either in this realm and I am not sure anyone single person does yet, but nonetheless it's really helpful that Onshape listens and provides a place for the discussion.  It's also great that people express things here and don't feel threatened when they express it.  It helps everyone learn and in return we get a better product from Onshape.  "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another".  I think it's fantastic.  I personally think there would be value in what you mention in an automated local backup.  My preference would be neutral data.  Parasolid, STEP, and PDF for drawings.  I think the native data issue muddies the water way too much and provides potential complications in the development of the Onshape platform, that I suspect is not really warranted by a reasonable acceptance of risk.

20 years is a long way out.  I think acceptance/perception of the issues will have changed by then, and a lot technically will have changed by then.
  • Options
    Thank you for your comments and interesting reading, it certainly makes an emotional debate.

2TB of data on the cloud? mmm, I feel rather un-easy not knowing where the server, mirror servers and backups are stored. Could probably accept live projects on the cloud. Local storage on a server, you control your own destiny. Parasolid, STEP and PDF files are good for recording a point in time but are dumb files that do not store associativity and the history tree. We recently had a complex surfacing project based upon a previous project (7 years old), we recovered the SW files from the archive, opened in a newer version of SW and hey presto made changes to the design using the history tree. Saved the client a fortune.

Putting the technical and legal aspects aside so as not to "Cloud" the main issue (pardon the pun!)

We have a company policy if a software system or organisation such as CAD drives our company then its time to find something else.

It should be the decision of the company whether to store "Native" CAD files (i) locally (ii) on the Cloud or (iii) or a combination of both.

If these are Parasolid, STEP or PDF then it really destroys the objective of having a powerful parametric, history based CAD system.
  • Options
    dr_hutchinsondr_hutchinson Member Posts: 10
    So much of what Martin Carder has put forward reflects the views of our company too. My overriding concern is what would happen if ONSHAPE ran out of funding. Not only your data would be lost but the means to use your data even if you had a local back up would be lost too. All of these scenarios have already been expressed in this thread with one solution being to make ONSHAPE open source.  Just out of interest has anyone on this forum (say with a minimum of ten years CAD legacy) made a switch full time to ONSHAPE for new designs?...or perhaps should this question be diverted to a new thread.
  • Options
    Hello fellow CAD users,

I have had an official response from OnShape regarding storing "Native files" locally, and it seems there is "No definitive answer" and if it is implemented then it won't be for a number of years.

Your reaction probably would be influenced whether you are a company that designs your own products or whether you are a consultancy that provides a design service. All I ask is that you take a step back away from the monitor, keyboard and mouse and think about the implications of long term commitment to Onshape and storing potentially years of data on the cloud, controlled and priced only by Onshape.

So if you are happy storing all your hard work on the cloud and downloading dumb files like parasolid or IGES then Onshape is the right solution.
    (for all you novices, when I say dumb files I mean when you import a neutral format such as parasolid or IGES back into Onshape then you loose the history tree and the features you created - direct modelling or feature recognition maybe the answer but it never recovers the original design intent).

I am disappointed that the basic question on this thread has been knowingly left unanswered since June 2015 and I have had to invest time, debating and questioning with some emotional responses from other users.

Storing data with OnShape cloud is a risk that you loose control of your own destiny, your data is subject to uncontrollable upgrades and reliant on another business being Solvent (OnShape). Legally, I would not like to expose my clients to uncontrollable risk.

Again my opinion is that you should have the choice whether to store files (native or dumb) locally, on the cloud or combination of both.

I will keep my free account open for now to play, but I wont be wasting any more time unless Onshape decide to resolve their internal conflicts and stop making a technical case for an indefensible commercial reality.

Thank you.
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    Here's my take: We're not working on a local storage solution because, as Jake suggested earlier, Onshape native data is only useful when viewed through Onshape.  No two CAD systems can understand each others' feature history (it's hard enough to keep two versions of the *same* CAD system communicating, hence the upgrades).  And we do geographically distributed secure backups automatically all the time.  We have gathered $144 million in funding not because we need the money right now but to ensure we're around for many years to come -- keep in mind that it has taken us a small fraction of that capital to get to where we are today.  So the bottom line is if you don't believe we will be around tomorrow, locally storing your data would be of no help.  Otherwise, it's of no use.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    Thanks @ilya_baran for the insight.

I have couple more questions on this matter, what if Onshape lost user data for some yet unknown reason (hack, virus, terrorism or just simple human mistakes)? System would be alive but data would be missing, in this case I would be so happy to have my weekly backups in local drive.

How can we count on pricing structure in long run? With Onshape there is no way to drop maintenance other than switching to free plan..

Can you describe the worst case scenarios with knowing how things run inside Onshape?

Just to think out loud, everything else than Onshape accidentally losing data (and backups) is same with any modern cad system. Most of them run a license server that makes sure you have rights to open your files. If they decide you don't, then you can't open anything - same as Onshape. Only difference is that you can probably find hacked version of installed software which can open your native files - but this is not the way for professionals to continue work.

What I'm saying is that every license, contract or other agreement must be built on mutual trust. No text can cover every situation future brings and in the end - all this happens just between humans. I give you money, you give me right to use your software. It's just that you're fairly new as a company and asking for us to store all our design data on your servers without having local copies. When Onshape has been around for ten-twenty years without problems, it would be easier to 'join'.  

All that said, Onshape team, you have built amazing cloud cad platform, first one in the world. Could you be the first company in the world to create a standard 3d model file/package with history - dragging others with you? There is no hurry, just finish the platform to meet most of needs but 
    keep this in mind for future during development.
    //rami
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175

I have couple more questions on this matter, what if Onshape lost user data for some yet unknown reason (hack, virus, terrorism or just simple human mistakes)? System would be alive but data would be missing, in this case I would be so happy to have my weekly backups in local drive.

A terrorist attack would have to take out multiple secure Amazon data centers around the world.  Because the data is backed up (encrypted) to different types of servers with different types of access, a virus or a hacker or a human making a mistake (to all of which we're far less likely to be exposed than the vast majority of users -- see https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/how-to-improve-on-traditional-cad-security-with-onshape) would have to try very very hard to delete all of our internal copies of the data.  Actually, one of the concerns is that being able to upload "native" Onshape data would make it harder for us to secure our service, since we would have to treat a lot more data as untrusted.

How can we count on pricing structure in long run? With Onshape there is no way to drop maintenance other than switching to free plan..
    Our business depends on our users trusting us.  I think a big price increase without a grandfathering plan or some sort of fallback option would undermine that trust.  Regardless of what happens, locally stored data would be of no help there.

Can you describe the worst case scenarios with knowing how things run inside Onshape?

I'm not sure what you mean by "worst case" here -- I have trouble coming up with a scenario (even a zombie apocalypse) that would leave our service operational but destroy the CAD data.

All that said, Onshape team, you have built amazing cloud cad platform, first one in the world. Could you be the first company in the world to create a standard 3d model file/package with history - dragging others with you? There is no hurry, just finish the platform to meet most of needs but keep this in mind for future during development. 

Thanks!  Regarding transferring history, that is very hard to the point of being effectively impossible: subtle differences in how features regenerate (due to thousands of little options in kernel calls, versioning changes, and differences in non-kernel internal logic) lead to much larger downstream effects in models of even moderate complexity.  But we'll see what we can do -- it may be possible to make transfers work well enough that some models could be fixed up with manual effort.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc