Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Configurations Help Required

brian_pinder662brian_pinder662 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/20b7ed88dc59162296b5eb8b/w/a27f60c38cdafae14413fc59/e/aef92d9dadf7f2cfa23c1440  
Once again need more help getting to grips with configurations. Seem to have lost plot somewhere, in the URL above I have a 3, 4, 6, 8, & 12 Blade face plates Which Originaly started as a 8 Blade. As you will see i am trying to add the holes to each of the configurations. Everything works fine with the the 8 & 6 Blade but goes haywire on the remaining 3, 4, & 12. Somewhere I think there should be one or maybe two variables but how to form & where to put them I am at a loss. I have studied Codys Webinar on configurations & variables for some time now which are great but don't seem to be able to put them into practice. If anyone can can give some advice and point to where I am going wrong it will be very much appreciated and enable me to move on.
Best regards to all Brian.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi.

Copy of your file here:-
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a65f94f77fe9628e24897756/v/be0801198748ccf3c6326c07/e/5f1acc8bff3eb1c4a5055c10

You'll see:-
    (a) Just one config input now as if we want a particular blade count we'll always want the corresponding holes.
    (b) Centre hole moved up the feature tree and used as the rotation axis for the patterns as the outside edges change reference depending on how many blades there are.

Also worth noting that the orientation on the flat pattern does not match the part window.  I accidentally drew on the "top" flange in the flat for the holes.  This turned out to be flange 4, so if I set the blade count to 3 it fell over.

Hope that helps,
    Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Dang it @Cris_Bowers :)
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    brian_pinder662brian_pinder662 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Thank you very much, Owen & Cris. Could have just copied your example which would have been easy but grasping why & how it works took a little longer. Can now progress to next stage.
     All the best.