Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

When is it valid to configure multiple instances at once when creating an assembly configuration?

StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
I couldn't help but notice the prompt (see red box) for configuring an assembly feature implies that multiple instances and/or mates can be selected at once for configuration.

Given the different type and number of parameters that might exist for each individual instance I would not think this would be supported.

So why do I want to configure multiple selections? 

Essentially, I want to propagate the "Configurations" table with multiple selections in one fell swoop to control feature suppression. When multiple assy features/instance are selected I would think that only the feature parameters common to the selection set would be added to the "Configurations" table, in many cases that would be just suppression.

I can preselect the assembly features for configuration prior to pushing the "+ Configure Assembly Features" button, get the selection prompt to proceed but the multiple section is ignored. At this point I can only select a single assembly feature at a time

Right now the process to build the Configurations table can be rather tedious. Looking for a way to speed things up.

Answers

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Adding a suppression is quicker to do from RMB menu in list with 'Configure suppression' but I feel ya.. Creating assy config for fillets on/off for 10 parts needs way too many clicks..

As expected there is already IR logged for this and with enough feedback we usually see improvements in future updates.
    //rami
  • Options
    StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    @3dcad
    RMB - "Configure suppression", I didn't consider looking there for adding feature suppression to an assembly configuration. 

It works really well and is a lot easier/quicker than the using the "+ Configure Assembly Features" method.

Mucho thanks for the tip. 
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,900 PRO
    I tend to usually add to the configure list by going to the feature I want to configure, then adding it to the appropriate configuration parameter.

This just gives an additional way to do the same thing. So it doesn't hurt to have it. Some may like the +Configure feature better than digging them out one by one.

So I can't say that I haven't used it. But typically I configure as I go. Rather than waiting to the end and adding a bunch of things at once. But it is nice to know I have the option :)