Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Tangent Mate Improvement

jacques_spillmannjacques_spillmann OS Professional Posts: 53 PRO
Hi Onshapers,
I feel it would be needed to be able to toggle an "Adjacent Tangent Face" option on&off when selecting a face for a tangent mate.
Let's say I want to create a tangent mate between a groove and a pin, and that groove is curved (otherwise I would use a Pin Slot Mate).
When selecting one of the face of the groove, Onshape will automatically select all adjacent tangent faces within that groove, and that often creates motion issues (at least for me).
I would love to have the option of limiting the selection of the groove to just that one face, which would then limit the motion to just that one face, seems logical, no?
In different cases, one might want to use the adjacent faces, I think we should be able to either select all adjacent tangent faces automatically (by activating a checkbox) or even select specific adjacent tangent faces one by one, again to limit the motion to exactly the chosen selection.
Among all the mates available in Onshape, the Tangent Mate is in my opinion the less friendly one to use, I think I've mastered the use of all the others, Tangent Mate is one mate that I can never make work on the first pass...
I'm curious to hear what your experience has been using this mate and if an improvement of that nature would be of an interest.
Cheers.

Comments