Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Extrude-Remove-Offset from Surface to retain wall thickness?

christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
edited June 2015 in Community Support
Maybe this will come in handy and maybe there are various ways to achieve this. I want to Extrude-Remove a feature that stays a value (eg wall thickness) away from a surface. That way if the height of the part changes I don't have to modify the "cuts". Plus the surface matches the "curve"/"angle" of the offset from surface. Similar to Shell but not removing all the face. I tired Move Face, creating an offset surface from the bottom surface to use "Up To Next" (Offset Surface?)

See that the Up to Surface goes all the way through the part. I would like a "wall thickness" at the bottom that stays even if the height of the part (where the sketch plane is located) changes or the angle of the Moved surface is modified.

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @christopher_owens below a Video of a possible solution to this using offset planes, I drew the planes after I created the draft feature, hope it helps somehow.

http://recordit.co/NW264lS5EO
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    That's elegant, @jakeramsley ; I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd lost sight of the fact that 'replace face' has an offset capability built-in.

"Onshape; doing more with less"

For those unfamiliar with "face normals": they are vectors, perpendicular to the  face in question, whose "sign" is arranged to they always point towards open space, away from the solid. 
  • Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Great solution @jakeramsley, thanks for sharing.
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    @jakeramsley  Thanks!! I would of been clicking a long time to figure that out! Even if I would of gotten to Replace Face I might not of known what the value was for...doesn't say "Offset". And the offset does remain after I modified the driving features. I know these were "simple" part for demonstration, I did try it with a curved surface at first. I foresee using this on some 3D Printed parts!

• Options
    In the training video which Replace Face is at the end of, and now that I know where Offset is, it is mentioned but... "I'll leave it at it's default value". The End.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    @andrew_troup  & @jakeramsleyI did use all this to create an "Xacto Knife" groove in a model to represent where a door/window would be. (For 3D Printing the replica) From a "Right Plane" sketch I created a Surface using two directions (great update!), then a Thicken to make a part, then the Replace Face-Offset to give the part the shape of the elliptical surface and be half way into the wall thickness. From that I did a Boolean-Subtract to get my Xacto Knife cut in the plastic part!