Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

DWG/DXF export now breaks curve into linearized segments?

ritchie_ritchie_ Member Posts: 11
Hi team-

I've got a sketch that I exported from OnShape about a month ago, and all of the curves stayed as curved vector data which is perfect for a waterjet machine (Flow something or other). I made some edits to the sketch and exported it again today, and all of the curves had been vectorized into short straight-line segments.

I can see this (a) by opening the file in Illustrator and zooming in to 6400%, (b) noticing a significant file size increase, and (c) seeing the waterjet software show all of the vector nodes on the curved sections.

In the screenshot below you can see the curve retained in the (2) version export, and clearly see the linearization in the (4) file version.

Did OnShape change export behavior lately, or did I change something in my sketch that forces it to linearize the curves? Is there a setting I'm overlooking to preserve the curved path on export?

Thanks for considering!

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2015
    As a follow-up data point I used the workspace history to roll back and set a previous version as current (can't export from a version preview, which doesn't make much sense to me). I noticed an "Automatic upgrade" event by the "System" user in the history and my previous export was definitely before that.

If I re-export the rolled back version as a DXF/DWG it still opens in other software with linearized primitives so I guess the change is due to (a) something I've fundamentally done differently to my Onshape config without noticing or (b) some change in Onshape itself.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    And this is what that geometry looks like in Onshape in case I'm doing anything obviously stupid.

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ritchie_
    If I were you I would share the model with Support and raise a ticket (click on the ? icon and choose "Feedback" from the resulting menu)