Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Configurations lost when I save a version?

eric_schimelpfenigeric_schimelpfenig Member Posts: 75 EDU
I have a drawing in Onshape that I'm using configurations in.

What I'm trying to do is this:

Create a configuration of the model, and then create a "version" so I can refer back to the model in that state at a later time.

What's actually happening is that when I create a version, and then I go back to that version to look at it, I get the model configured in some kind of a default state, not the configuration that I left it in. Is this intended behavior? And if so, why? 

Thanks for any help!

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Ah ok, that's not obvious, but it does make sense. I'll do that. Thanks for the help!

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @eric_schimelpfenig

A version is a snapshot of the state of the document at a particular time, it also allows you to reference that document from a different document.  That snapshot includes the entire set of configurations of the model, it does not lock the configuration to the current configuration.  This is very useful when considering that you need a version to bring data from one document to another.  Let's say you want to bring a part from one document into a master assembly in another document.  When doing this, you can bring in any configuration of that part, rather than just one locked-down configuration of the part associated with the version.  Making one version for every configuration that you want to reference would not be scalable, especially considering that a configuration can create an infinite number of parts (if one of the configs is a continuous variable).

For our desired behavior, you could create an additional Part Studio or Assembly, and use the derived feature or insert (respectively) the part with its desired configuration.  Then version that.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Ah ok, that's not obvious, but it does make sense. I'll do that. Thanks for the help!