Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.
First time visiting? Here are some places to start:- Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
- Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
- Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
- Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.
If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.
How do you create a flat pattern of a helical screw flight
Terrence_Tarboton
Member Posts: 3 PRO
Can a flat pattern be made of a helical screw flight?
Tagged:
0
Answers
-
Out of box - nope!
But I know a man that might know how . . . @konstantin_shiriazdanov, what do you think?Philip Thomas - Onshape0 -
We did an experiment with a 180deg helix, worked with paper, but we didn't have the tooling to bend a full scale 14ga sheet.
I'm not sure if it would work in the end, but you can have my resulting document.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d46436b3be6cddce38b9184b/w/47a4090676b620c1ce23fdf0/e/5f1061b17dca506c12d80d4d
3 -
Helix is also non developable but I would did what @john_mcclary showed, assuming helical bounds transform into concentric circles of the corresponding length and linear edges transform into radial lines on the flat. It should work well untill the width of the helix is significantly smaller then the length.
2 -
Thanks everyone, bit more complex than I was hoping.
0



