Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Copy a Part that becomes "Stand Alone"?? (Has it's own Sketches-Features). Or a Boolean.

christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
edited July 2015 in Community Support
I tried this and it didn't do what I (again) assumed from the Help...

• Copy in place - make a copy of the part at the same location; this creates a separate and independent part enabling you to:

- Make changes to one part and use both to create different bodies during a later operation.

- Make a copy of a part prior to a series of operations enabling you to reference the original state for ancillary operations.

- Create multiple copies of a part in order to create multiple variants.

Tip: If you need to create multiple copies of a part at once, use the Pattern feature with a distance of 0 (zero).

• Scale uniformly - Scale a part by a specific factor and select a point to scale about; optionally copy the part

The copied part is still driven of the features used to create the original. For example to Delete a Fillet. The Fillet disappeared from both parts. I tried a Linear Pattern then Scale in Place one of the parts. When I changed the Original Part... the scaled part changed per it's scale factor. Sooo you can add features but not modify or delete previous features (so it seems). So if I have a relatively complex part and wanted another one with a different wall thickness... hmmm... have to use a lot of Move Surface. I guess you could use the Rollback Bar, if everything is in a good order...or just start over! (I wanted to remove a fillet and resize Boolean tool.) I see the word "prior" in the Help now. I'll just have to "recreate" the part at this point. Unless I missed the Copy and Paste in a new Parts Studio update!

ps. I'll add the Boolean-Merge-"Keep Tools" and Make Boolean "Stand Alone" to this.

Basically I have many Parts in a Parts Studio that I want to Mix-n-Match to create versions that I would then Boolean-Merge ( and Hollow?) and Export STLs from for the different versions... or scale/rotate those to fit onto a 3D Printer. Or create support material within.

Tips n Techniques!??

Thanks!

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    edited July 2015
    I'll add an image of the "finished" part. The customer made some overall suggestions on CADCrowd about what he really wanted. Sooo now I want to redesign this one Intake Part. So I thought I would Copy it to save this one and make some redesign. Nope! When I tried just removing the small radius on the "nose" of the original Part... the copy lost the radius also. So, OK, start over. Now the issue is the original is a Boolean-Merge, so I "lost" the tool parts used for that! Sooo... I guess I can Rollback to where I have all the tool parts and copy them also! Buuuut... I can't change those any or ALL the Booleans will change. This is where I would like the Boolean-Merge ; Keep Tools ; Stand Alone options!! Or the Copy and Paste to new Parts Studio with all that took to make that Boolean...hmm. As I use Onshape more and become more use to the work flows (instead of just running ahead while learning!) I can better "plan ahead" for these "opportunities"!

• Options
    I did locate the Loft that created my "lost" part. What if there was a "Use" or "Recreate" option in this menu??? Then I could make a new Part without a lot of hassle!

• Options
    @lana As I use Onshape more and more I learn things like saving versions and branching! I'll have to read up on those and learn/"plan ahead" when to use them. At the moment I am "going where I have not gone before" and then wondering how to "fix" things!