Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

"external references are missing" without indications of which

CaptainBisquickCaptainBisquick OS Professional Posts: 33 ✭✭
I drew two sketches on the top plane. As far as I can tell, they are independent of one another. But when I switch their order history, I get the "Some external references are missing" error, and I can't see why.

Sometimes I like to have more than one sketch in the same area so that I can avoid having my sketches get too crowded, while still being able to see the lines of one sketch while working in the other. The problem I have is when I begin editing the first sketch, I can't see the lines of the second sketch. That's why I switched their order history, but then received the inexplicable error.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    @robert_christian ;
    If you turn on "show constraints" in the sketch which was created second, but which is now first: you will probably see one or more of them in red: these are constraints which will have been inadvertently created (by unperceived snapping when you created the sketch)
    The switching of order is actually a good diagnostic technique to identify such unwanted constraints.
    If you select these constraints by clicking on them with the mouse, you can "Delete" from the keyboard or RMB.

If there are no constraints in red, you have a rogue situation and should submit the model to Support for checking.
  • Options
    Thanks @andrew_troup. In this particular case, there are no red constraints or red lines.
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @robert_christian ;;If you drawn two sketches in the same area then you may selected the face of first sketch to draw second sketch.
    Please check whether you selected top plane or sketch face to create second sketch.... 
  • Options
    stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    Hi @robert_christian@Narayan_K  makes a really good point.  It is possible to select another "sketch" as the basis for a new sketch. In that event, the second sketch will be dependant on the first. .  I'll bet your second plane was created on the sketch of the first.

Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    Hi @stevehess, @Narayan_K. This is a good guess, but unfortunately it's not that either. Both say "Top plane" in the sketch dialog.

I sent a support request to Onshape support.
  • Options
    stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    @robert_christian
    Perhaps you should file a support ticket & share your doc with Support.  They can get to the bottom of it.
    Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Another thing I will add is this: some areas of the sketch have so many constraints that Onshape hides most of them under an ellipsis icon. It seems to have resulted from using symmetry a lot. None of those ellipses are red though, and none that I expand have revealed any red constraints.

@stevehess, ya, I did. I don't know where the 'share with OS support' feature is though.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @CaptainBisquick - good point - if the 'condensed' constraints contain any that are bad, make the condensed icon red. Great enhancement request.
    @Paul_Chastell
    Philip Thomas - Onshape