Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Linear Pattern of Feature? Select the Feature from the Feature list. (eg Extrude 1)

christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
edited July 2015 in Community Support
Hello! I did figure out how to do this "easily" in OS! I wanted to make a copy of the cutout in the steel tube and place it near the other end. I was playing with Copy Sketch (ugh) and creating a part to move and use to create the cut out. But finally ended up trying Linear Pattern. Of course you can't just select the feature from the Feature list. Had to use Face Pattern, and after a few "what ifs" I found I could "Create Selection" and use "Pocket". Intuitive?? Also under Face Pattern there is no XYZ. (Old habit of not liking to select feature entities as they might change or go away. Big fan of Axis created at the intersection of two Planes {Pro/E habit}) Be nice to just select the Feature (eg Extrude 1) and then Linear Pattern. That way ALL the surfaces of the feature are selected at once!

Tagged:

Answers

• Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    Presently in onshape we don't have feature pattern or feature mirror option.It is nice to have such option.

Now in Onshape we can create a new part by solid extrude instead of creating cut,then pattern that part using linear pattern.
    By Boolean operation we can get desired cut.This may require one step more but we can avoid the face selection.   
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @christopher_owens , that is ideal, fast and innovative method to select multiple faces associated with any feature. It minimizes human effort for selecting feature faces.

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @viru: I agree. I just wish OnS would grey it out when not applicable (notably when editing a sketch)
  • christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Also, I wanted the "upper" cutout to drive the "lower" cutout if I made adjustments. Copy Sketch wouldn't allow that (unless you can create equations D1@Sketch1=D1@Sketch2). I ran intro "disassociated" points when I used Copy Sketch, points that were the intersection of the rectangle, then filleted, then offset. Until I drew in lines to "reconnect" them to the sketch, to try and move it by using Coincident the sketch "failed"/redrew itself. Just things I run into while recreating projects I have done in the past!
    Here is another GREAT opportunity to select Feature instead of Faces!! I have a Linear Pattern of holes I want to Mirror about the Right Datum Plane. Be nice to select Linear Pattern & Mirror and be done! Nope! I have to zoom in and out to select the individual faces. Now I wonder if I change the number of copies in the Linear Pattern will I have to re-select (add) Faces?

Hmm... just trying to select Linear Pattern, notice the original hole isn't included! Must select Extrude 3 also.

OF COURSE when you select the individual Faces, OS Highlights the Features in the list...

YEP! When I modify the Linear Pattern to add holes... the Mirror (select Faces) will need to be modified too!

Interesting. If I modify the Linear Pattern to 2 copies, the Mirror matches. Wondering, I modified it again back to 4. Mirror also had four again. But if I modified the Linear Pattern to 5, the Mirror remained at 4. Sooo...even though two of the holes were gone, OS "hangs on" to that 4 was the original number.
  • navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    As @christopher_owens pointed out if the original mirror feature only had for example 4 holes, and you changed the linear pattern to a number less than that it will hold the mirror feature, but if the number is higher than 4 the mirror feature will show only 4 holes maximum, this is due because the original selected faces belong to the original 4 holes only, in the video below I show the problem pointed out by christopher and a way of selecting faces faster using the "Select Pattern" in the create selection dialog box.

Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions