Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Assembly duplication and derive workflows

michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
Hello all,

I would like to re-use a standard enclosure assembly in multiple projects. In each project case, the enclosure assembly will be modified to include holes, threads, etc...

The ideal workflow would be to load in the enclosure into a document, create its assembly, and add in all metadata for purchasing and tracking. I would then like to do a sort of derive or duplication of the assembly to create a new instance of the enclosure which I can modify and put holes, new features, etc.. while maintaining most of the original metadata.

I am looking for workflows and best practices for this case. I want to know the advantages and disadvantages of the workflows.

Thank you, Michael

Comments

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @michael_mcclain - please submit an enhancement request from the help drop down. If the intent is to make copies of the referenced parts when making a copy of the assembly, then please include the keywords 'deep copy' so that we add your name to the correct project.
    Thank you.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape