Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Inconsistent Offset Drag Behavior in Sketching

StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
I think this inconsistency is a bug, but I thought I would throw it out there for discussion since it is didactic.

Dragging a curve during an offset is one of those subtle capabilities that really speeds up the process of creating offsets of curve chains, but its behavior differs significantly if the curves have been explicitly created, or are "present" by virtue of being edges of a planer face the sketch was created on.

I am personally more likely to offset curves that are present as edges of a part face used to create the sketch than curves which have been explicitly created in the sketch.

The normal behavior of dragging a sketch curve to create an offset will be to include all the curves that chain/connect to the curve being dragged. But if the curve being dragged is one present by virtue of of being an edge of the face selected to sketch on, then the automatic chaining is not done. However, if the face used create the sketch is selected, instead of a curve and dragged, the bounding outer edges of the face are offset. If the intent is to offset an interior loop in the face one has to either, select the curves individually, or use the PopUp menu: Create section..., Loop/Chain connected method, or explicitly Use the curves before attempting the offset.

Note: Attempting to Window select the curves has the same effect as doing a face select drag.