Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Why cant a loft from tube to smaller tube?

RyanAveryRyanAvery Member Posts: 93 EDU
I want to make a tube basically get smaller on the end. I started by offsetting the end of the tube with a plane, then drew the ending sketch, and tried to connect the two with a loft, but it doesnt work. Whenever an operation in onshape fails there is no information as to what I can do to fix it, it just says that it failed.

Comments

• Options
    RyanAveryRyanAvery Member Posts: 93 EDU
    The error says "cant use profiles with inner loops"
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @RyanAvery

The error message and red highlight is trying two show you that the the region you are trying to loft has a cut out region in the center, which our loft does not do, because it is somewhat ill defined what it should do.  To get this to work, you will need to loft the entire large circle to the entire small circle (you can use the dropdown arrows in the selection box to add additional regions to each profile, so each profile in this case will consist of an inner and outer region)

Then depending on how you want your geometry to look, you have two options:
    • Use the shell feature to shell out the inside of the loft.  This has the advantage of keeping a constant wall thickness
    • Do another subtractive loft from inner profile to inner profile.  This has the advantage of giving you additional control of the shape you wish to subtract from the outer loft.

Feel free to reply again here if this is not clear.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team