Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Rotate a Plane

kai_h_borbekai_h_borbe Member Posts: 14 EDU
Hello,
i like to rotate a plane, dependent on a mesh (obj-File).
As like in the picture.How can i rotate the Plane, to fit the crooked edge in the geometry?
Thank you very much

Comments

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @kai_h_borbe

There are a number of different ways you could approach this.  Planes are always made using the "Plane" feature:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/cplane.htm

The simplest approach would be to use the "Three point" option, and select three points on the mesh that the plane should pass through.

Another option that may suit you a little better would be to use the "line angle" option.  First, sketch a line on the "top" plane that you want your new plane to pass through.  Then start a plane feature, switch to "line angle" and select the sketched line.  The system will show a hint at the top stating that you can also make an additional selection to use as a reference for the angle.  You can select the top plane as the reference, and then change the angle to 90 degrees.  Here is what that one looks like:

Hope this helps!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • kai_h_borbekai_h_borbe Member Posts: 14 EDU
    edited September 2019
    thank you very much for your fast reply.
    I try the three point method befor, but i has selected the plane itself, and it wont work, but now it works! :)

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Yes having  4 inputs in your 3 point plane could be a problem :)
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd