Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Replacing Parts while preserving Mates between model Mate Connectors (Standard Content)

Michael_CoffeeMichael_Coffee Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
I'm trying to do a direct replacement of a Standard Content model with a model of our own (it is in relation to the improvement request I made here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/12046/custom-standard-content). I figured, in the mean time, I could use the Standard Content model to put in as "place-holders", since all of the mates are created and the orientation of everything makes it nice. Problem is the mates always go red. I've tried modeling a simple washer like what is used in Onshape to figure out what I was doing wrong. Even made sure the features appeared the same. Same extrude symmetry, "Near" & "Far" mate connectors and their orientations, and size. Nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @Michael_Coffee

OK, this is a big MAYBE, but try this — select SUPPRESS INFERENCING before you add in the washer.

SOMETIMES this prevents things from turning red when I’m trying to drag something on screen, or when I edit, maybe when adding in a dimension.

IF I HAD TO GUESS, I’d say that this has a 30% chance of working. But now and then, it does the trick. It keeps things from turning RED.

• Options
    Unfortunately I don't know how to get to that option from an assembly. It did give me an idea though of suppressing the mate first before replacing the model. Sadly, that didn't work either.
  • Options
    Okay, coworker discovered the "snap mode" feature that I didn't know existed, and that made a good chunk of our problems just disappear. I would still appreciate an answer if someone has one, but we do have a work around for the moment.