Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Anyone using Onshape for real yet?

2»

Comments

• Options
    juan_avilesjuan_aviles Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    @matthew_menard Actually I always "printed" the SolidWorks drawings to PDFs, because everyone has Adobe Reader! 
    christopher_owens I was the same way, and the 3D .PDF export is how I collaborated with others who didn't have the Solidworks viewer.  Drawings is big on my list for Onshape, but at least now collaboration is much easier with Onshape.
  • Options
    chris_aicherchris_aicher OS Professional, User Group Leader Posts: 23 PRO
    I think I may have landed my first "real" project with OS.Finally...hammering out the details now.
    It comes at a good time with all the BS from SW regarding the new Subscription Late Policy 
    http://talk.solidsmack.com/t/new-solidworks-subscription-late-policy/233 .
    Ready to jump ship...

Chris Aicher
    aicher@battleaxe.com
    Tigard, OR
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the last nail in the Solidworks coffin, as far as I'm concerned.
    The Orwellian spin is the last straw.
    The question is: jump to what?
  • Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    @chris_aicher  Thanks for bringing that news to everyones attention. I priced up Solidworks in the UK and was shocked to be quoted about £4500 plus annual "maintenance" fee of over £1000 a year. I pointed out that the US price was equivalent to under £3000, the salesman helpfully pointed out it would be even dearer in the rest of Europe. "but it is software" ... I complained "it should be downloadable throughout the world at the same price."
    Thankfully I found OS , I am fully into it as a system and will go pro in due course , but not yet. 
    Onshape please keep the free status attractive , so we can continue to learn to use it , once we can make some money with it , I am sure there will be many new paying subscibers. I am certainly mentioning it to some serious mechanical designers here in the UK.