Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Should I start a new part studio and how do I integrate dimensions of previous part.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/da97098e27612ee44aecf6cf/w/cec053313c9f89ef0664cc6a/e/fccafd0c7563f10c040f3906 

For the next part, I am trying to figure out the best way to create the rear seat cowl and seat pan. They should be one continuous piece and I want them to be contiguous to the frame. Should I start a new part studio to create it or keep building it in the same one the frame is in? Is there an efficient way to maintain the dimensions of the frame so that I can nest the seat pan just inside/below the top line of the frame? I want the rear seat cowl to be hollow for now and to have a lip that hugs the inside curvature of the hoop frame tube, but unlike the seat pan, which is nested inside the frame, the visible part of rear seat cowl should be flush with the top of the frame like in previous actual motorcycle picture  posted. The goal is to make a solid model that I cut into "bread slices" (I don't know what the technical term for this is) in Onshape so that I can have pieces of wood cnc'd to match the slices. I will glue these piece of wood together use as a mold to fiberglass over.

Answers

• Options
    otaolafrotaolafr Member Posts: 113 EDU
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/da97098e27612ee44aecf6cf/w/cec053313c9f89ef0664cc6a/e/fccafd0c7563f10c040f3906 

For the next part, I am trying to figure out the best way to create the rear seat cowl and seat pan. They should be one continuous piece and I want them to be contiguous to the frame. Should I start a new part studio to create it or keep building it in the same one the frame is in? Is there an efficient way to maintain the dimensions of the frame so that I can nest the seat pan just inside/below the top line of the frame? I want the rear seat cowl to be hollow for now and to have a lip that hugs the inside curvature of the hoop frame tube, but unlike the seat pan, which is nested inside the frame, the visible part of rear seat cowl should be flush with the top of the frame like in previous actual motorcycle picture  posted. The goal is to make a solid model that I cut into "bread slices" (I don't know what the technical term for this is) in Onshape so that I can have pieces of wood cnc'd to match the slices. I will glue these piece of wood together use as a mold to fiberglass over.

you can create the second part in the same part studio and use the use (u) and intersection (doesnt have a keyshortcut) tools to have he right sizes of the first part in your new sketchs

only thing i would recommed from using this tools is to use it when the original part, is not going to change so much... i found myself that i used this path and when i changed the original part got some errors in the sketches. but easy to repeared. also you have the create a part studio from an assambly :)
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited September 2019
    Many options here:-
    (a) Same Part Studio. (Simple but feature list could get messy.)
    (b) Same document, new partstudio, then derive your frame into the new studio. (Has advantages that changes to frame are immediately included in the new part)
    (c) New document, derive frame in. (Has advantage of being able to use version control)
    (c-d) As above but make an assembly and use "in-context editing" to build new parts around the existing ones and then push them into the assy.)
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    nikolos_ricenikolos_rice Member Posts: 4 EDU
    The problem I'm running into is Onshape wants to interface with the sketch lines of the frame but not with the outside edge of the tubing created from sweeping the sketch lines of the frame. How do I interface with the outside edge of the tubing?
  • Options
    otaolafrotaolafr Member Posts: 113 EDU
    The problem I'm running into is Onshape wants to interface with the sketch lines of the frame but not with the outside edge of the tubing created from sweeping the sketch lines of the frame. How do I interface with the outside edge of the tubing?
    interface? you mean how you proyect/use them in another sketch? if it is that normally with the tool use you can project it.
    if you mean interact, like having a line go until the generated surface, you need "lines" so you can project the exterior lines of the tube and then interact with them.
    i dont know i have understood you correctly... if not dont hesitate to post something like a screen capture so i can understand what you mean.