Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:

1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Set Material FS very slow

romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 242 PRO
@MBartlett21 I'm pretty sure this is your great Feature Script
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3ca261a95938af152088fca8/v/e1a0d34103707be3050748c8/e/82151ac6fb25c86ba23d7f85

It seems to be very very slow in many of my models.

Do you have any idea why this might be? Is there something I should do differently?

Could it be that it hasn't been updated since last year (is the FeatureScript old?).

Thanks!
Romeo

Comments

• ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 940
    I think that custom feature evaluates the volume of the selected parts up to three times, depending on the options (and I'm guessing your parts are somewhat intricate).  Morgan, you can optimize this by computing a part-to-volume map once and reusing it.  I don't expect age is an issue, but moving the FS and std version forward is a good idea: it will let the feature take advantage of whatever bugfixes we may have made since.
    Ilya Baran \ Director, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member Posts: 1,649 EDU
    MB - I make FeatureScripts:View FeatureScripts
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 242 PRO
    Looks like the update could have been helpful after all..

Before updating FeatureScript (29.66s):

...and after (13.8s):

(although everything seemed a little quicker in the "after" screenshot for some reason, nothing else improved by more than 50%!)

thanks!
    Romeo

• ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 940
    Thanks, Morgan!
    Ilya Baran \ Director, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc