Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

thread

sebastian_wolfensonsebastian_wolfenson Member Posts: 7 EDU
Hello, I wanted to ask you a question, I am a user of ONshape but it is difficult for me when creating pieces that have threads, I made a piece that has a screw cap but at the time of printing it they do not match me very well. I have followed some tutorials and comments on the forum, but I can't find something that can explain the steps well.
I give an example of a screw and nut. How would the nut have to be to match well? How can you give a little tolerance so that the thread is not exact and you can have a small game?
Or is there a way to copy the thread of a bottle in a job? (example)

I read several things but I can't find how it can be made easy.

From already thank you very much

Comments

• John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 233
    @sebastian_wolfenson  I would recommend creating a cutting tool for a boolean operation. Design the thread profile on a dummy part in a separate part studio with the proper thread geometry. 

Next you can derive this tooling part into another part studio when you want to create the internal thread. 

The boolean tool allows you to apply an offset value on the target part you wish to cut. This will allow for some clearance on your thread. 

Below is a link to a public doc I made for this example. Hope this helps!

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0cc7463b438cd71e26767b89/w/77e0563571c6983992a37cac/e/a09c0e518721fa55f99058e4

• sebastian_wolfensonsebastian_wolfenson Member Posts: 7 EDU
    Perfect thank you very much for the answer.
    I'm going to do a test to design something simple and then print it, as a practice.

Thank you very much, I will publish the results
    I ask you a question, when you generate the derivative, how do you orientate the piece you are going to put?
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I ask you a question, when you generate the derivative, how do you orientate the piece you are going to put?
    By far the easiest and most powerful method is the "transform by mate connector" function.
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Here is the documentation for the function that Owen has mentioned:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/transform.htm
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Performance tip - make sure that the derive of the plug is through a version (if it's in another Document it will be a version by default).
    MUCH MUCH MUCH Faster! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    Escribe tu comentarioThank you very much for all the help, it suited me very well. The last query, does the standard account pay out $ 1500 per year?