Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
- Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
- Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
- Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
- Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.
Questions about tangent arc, extrusion and explanatory text
I have some more questions about OnShape.
Here is a link to my document:
1) In the "elevation" sketch of the "stop nut" part studio I have an
elongated "S" curve to define the profile of the part. I used a
short line and two tangent arcs to draw this profile. I tried
just drawing it with two tangent arcs and no middle line segment
but couldn't get the two arcs to be tangent to each other at
their meeting point. Is there a better way to sketch this "S"
2) As shown in the "plan" sketch of "stop nut", I want the nut to
have a pentagonal head (the nut will be threaded 20 per inch, so
each corner of the pentagon advances the nut by 0.01). Ive not
yet found a way, using the extrusion tool in the sketch, to cut
the 5 sides of the head away from the result of the "revolve"
Using the "solid" tab of the extrude tool, I'm unable to select
the regions that are bounded by the outside arc and an edge of
If I try the "surface" tab I can select the circle and the
pentagon edges and extrude that, but that gets me a hollow walled
extrucion and no option to remove that region from the part.
If I were instead to shorten the revolve and extrude the pentagon
on top of it, then the corners of the pentagon wont carry the
curve of the profile.
I tried extruding in the part studio itself, rather than in the
plan sketch. That didn't work either. See "failed Extrude 1".
I doesn't look like I could achieve what I want using the boolean
intersection tool unless I define the pentagonal head as a
What Is the best way to get a pentagonal head on my part?
3) Also, is there a wat to add instructional or documentation text
to a sketch or part? I dont want the text to appear on the part
itself, just in the drawing. Example text might be "Tap to 1/4 -
Thanks for your help.