Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Cutting an imported part

sazrockssazrocks Member Posts: 2 EDU
I am trying to cut down an imported part with move face (red line), however it is very laggy (wait 5 seconds for a change to show up) and will not work after the second row of holes (blue line).
Is there a better way to do this or am I doing something wrong?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    Another approach is to use an extrude:remove. eg sketch a rectangle in a side view that covers the material you want and then extrude:remove to remove that material.

Do file a problem report (?->Feedback) and share the model (or better, a new document with just one Metal L bracket) with support. This seems like a reasonable use case of move face and they can use part to improve their algorithm.
  • Options
    sazrockssazrocks Member Posts: 2 EDU
    edited July 2015
    Another approach is to use an extrude:remove. eg sketch a rectangle in a side view that covers the material you want and then extrude:remove to remove that material.

Do file a problem report (?->Feedback) and share the model (or better, a new document with just one Metal L bracket) with support. This seems like a reasonable use case of move face and they can use part to improve their algorithm.
    EDIT: I ended up extruding using the face outlined in red, and it worked!

I tried that, and all it does is take a little off of the edges.

Here are my extrude settings and sketch(sketch plane is the side circled in red in the first post)

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    You need to draw a rectangle on that plane which embraces the whole profile. Constrain it so it behaves like a 'bounding box'.

The face of the part is not big enough to serve in this role, due to the chamfers. (For some reason, the cut extrude has used the inverse of the inadequate face, but regardless, the behaviour would be unpredictable if you just use faces, rather than sketching a rectangle as traveler-hauptman suggested)
  • Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    A useful tip, thanks!