Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Parametric Curve not generating LD-Haack curve

I tried writing the LD-Haack equation that is in the wikipedia page, into the y variable of the parametric curve function but it keeps saying it can't regenerate properly. I made sure there isn't any unit conflicts and tried to divide the function into two parts, one in the x variable and the other in the y. Do you guys have any tips or know how to do it properly? The dimensions of the curve, has a radius of 6 inches and its maximum height is 1.5 meters, or 59.055 inches.

This link takes you to the document Im working on. 
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7b2bde7228785d9873741e76/w/b57f355fb8b142c2e73359d7/e/bbbfbe62b73820f43a5840a0

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like there are some unit issues going on with your formula for Y. Acos() does not take angle input. It requires a unitless number. I may have also found a bug with how sqrt() is processed by the featurescript (or possibly Onshape itself). I can plot the output of a sin(), but not sqrt(sin()) or (sin())^.5.

@ilya_baran can you take a look?
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,176
    @mahir I tried and don't see an issue.  Do you have a doc you can share that illustrates it?
    Keep in mind that sin has a tendency to go negative sometimes, in which case sqrt will throw.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ilya_baran I think you're on to something with the negative sin(). Onshape doesn't support imaginary numbers... go figure. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
  • Options
    alex_ramirez327alex_ramirez327 Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Yes this is exactly what I wanted, Thank you. The parametric program is difficult to use, but I'm still trying to learn.
  • Options
    flavio_trifoni632flavio_trifoni632 Member Posts: 2 EDU
    thanks so muck, I had the same issue and you solved it