Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I bevel a point, or multiple edges?

dapugdapug Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
I'm not even sure bevel is the right term, just learning how to use CAD here.  I've got this triangle shape around a cylinder using a circular pattern.  Cool.  Easy so far.

But I need to trim the peaks of the triangles back 45 degrees, as seen here.

I was hoping a Chamfer would do it, but that's not behaving like I thought.  I dont think drawing a sketch to the side of this and then removing the material would do it because I would not then be able to repeat that on all 6 of these around the pattern (and worse, it might cut into rather than around the surface of the cylinder).  I suppose I could force those 6 knobs as new parts (instead of "add") which would make them selectable and apply extrude/remove to all in the pattern, but this all just seems like a lot of work for a simple task.  I was hoping for something as simple as a chamfer type action could be applied.  What other tricks are there?

Comments

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    I'd probably make a sketch of the area to remove, and use a revolved cut. Other (probably less good) ways would be to use the draft feature or move face command to angle the faces.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    dapugdapug Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Thanks.  Yeah, I ended up adding a sketch perpendicular to that triangle knob to remove that angle, changed the circular pattern to "new" parts (rather than "add" to the cylinder"), and moved the circular pattern after those changes so it would replicate on all.  Kinda annoying to have each knob as it's own "new" part, but whatevs.

One thing I noticed is I could limit merge scope of that removed material to only the triangle knob and not the cylinder, so it didnt cut into the cylinder and ended up doing exactly what I hoped.  Very cool.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl