Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Positioning parts on Curved Patterns

going_alonggoing_along Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
I want to position non-symmetrical shaped clip pieces along a curved path. My problem is how to position the starting piece, define the spacing and number of repeats.

In my test example I created a simple box at the centre of my curve and repeated it along a curved path. Central positioning makes it straightforward to achieve initial alignment. As you can see the pattern is extended for the full length of the path, so I need to start at one end not the middle. If I start at the end what is the best way of achieving initial alignment (on the curve) and how do I prevent the last piece from over-running the end as I find that the pattern tends to exceed the curve length by one unit.

Or is there a much better way altogether?

My thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• going_alonggoing_along Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Thanks mahir, you provided a solution for the example I gave, but though it is not an issue for me right now it would be good to know how to achieve what I needed for a curved pattern. I probably need to spend more time experimenting.
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In general, you would just need to tweak the position of your seed part relative to the end points of your curve.