Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Set default view when changing version.

CWCW Member Posts: 9 PRO
At the moment Onshape always shows the assembly in iso view. It would be really nice to be able to change the default view when switching between configurations so that you don't need to select the plane each time you change versions. For example; I want to compare Version 1 to Version 2 in the Front Plane, but as it is now each time I switch between the two It goes to ISO view when reloaded.

I suppose you could open them all into different browser tabs and have a version in each, but that seems like a hassle.

Comments

• Options
    Piotr_Smektała_VBPiotr_Smektała_VB Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    I think that using two browser tabs have additional benefit... It's quicker!
  • Options
    Will_HaskinsWill_Haskins Member Posts: 3
    Bump on this

Flipping back and forth between versions of an assembly would be nicer if it would hold the camera position from one version to the next. Restarting the camera at ISO every time is much less convenient depending on the model, since often I flip back and forth in order to compare the differences between the versions. If it resets each time then the process becomes select version, reorient model, select second version, reorient model in almost identical way, select third version, reorient model again, etc. 

I could open up the model in different windows, but I like doing these quick checks on the fly. I'm an industrial designer, and doing rapid changes and checking them out to see how they compare to the previous is a core element of my work flow. 

Being able to either have the program hold the current camera position when I jump between models, or pick the default camera position when opening a model would be much preferred. 
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,375 PRO
    edited February 2023
    If you use the Compare tool you can see both versions overlayed (in whatever view you want) and cross-fade between them.

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/compare.htm

[edit]
    I re-read the help, and I'm reminded that this only works for part studios, not assemblies. Even better, I already wrote an improvement request to fix this that I had forgotten about.

Vote for it here.

For now, I would strongly agree with the idea of multiple browser tabs. You can quickly get to the views you want with the shortcut keys (Shift 1-7).
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,515 PRO
    Also if you flip back and forth between versions you have to wait for it to load again...
    Not saying it wouldn't be helpful to keep the view orientation when switching but it's definitely going to be quicker to open your "reference" in second window.
    Named views can help too! Especially considering you can add a named view and it will be available in "past" versions.