Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

More robust lid design for bike aero storage box

triharderttrihardert Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
Hi everyone,

I've been designing an aero box to go on my TT bike for a while now (actually it's been in limbo for a couple of years). It sits above the bottom bracket, secured by the bottle cage bosses. I printed an earlier version, which fitted perfectly – but the lid flew off mid-race!  :D

Here's the updated version – but to be honest, I don't think it's really going to work any better: 
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1a8de2ef61b5b7e3c911bd3f/w/d8c4d8dc5ed9bf9e8f0c0d99/e/7b4047deef56dcb9bd50e787
(See 'Box V5' tab).

If anyone can come up with a method that will better secure the lid, that would be much appreciated! It's going to need to take a bit of rattle and jiggle from British roads!

Cheers,

Tom
Tagged:

Answers

• TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    Hello Tom! It might be helpful to hear more of your design and/or material constraints. Just throwing out ideas but maybe you could use some sort of mechanical fastener like a bolt or some sort of latch. Alternatively you could try magnets or a tighter press fit. Many different methods to try!
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • triharderttrihardert Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Hi @TimRice! Thanks for your response – I hadn't even thought of integrating magnets! Perhaps those plus a lip to avoid sliding of the lid would work. Materials wise, I'll be sticking will PLA or ABS and my only other constraints are really the width of the box staying as it is and being able to get fingers inside to fish out the tools and spare inner tube etc that'll go inside it.
  • josh_deetzjosh_deetz OS Professional Posts: 4 PRO
    A few thoughts:
    A living hinge. I believe it would work with a high-quality 3D print (sounds like that's what you're doing). 
    A living hinge with flex filament as the hinge. 
    Magnets are a good idea. Rare earth magnets come in every size imaginable these days. 
    A fore-aft snap fit lid. VERY rough concept attached. The idea is you need to flex the lid enough to release one of the snaps (front-back). Wind and bumps won't knock it off, only significant flexing of the piece.