Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sensor Custom Feature

2»

Comments

• Options
    TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    Would it be possible to add a wall thickness checker or would this be better off as a new feature script like we have with the draft analysis.
    The company i work for are injection moulders and one of our common checks is to check the wall thickness prior to tool build. At present we have to use an external package like moldflow or Altair.
    That might be a bit beyond what is capable and efficient for a custom feature. We do have an improvement request for a built in wall thickness tool.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    @John_Stringer
    I too would use a wall thickness check. I'm sure it will become native functionality at some point (like draft analysis), but there might be a way to do it with featurescript as a stopgap. I can't really think of any efficient way to do it though. The best I've got offhand is to cut the model into tiny cubes based on your thickness threshold, then check if the volume of each section is bigger than it should be, but that would probably be buggy and take forever to compute.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    What if you input the inside surfaces, then the outside surfaces, and created a "mesh" of points across each inside surfaces. Then, measured from those points to the nearest outside surface and returned the distances for each point. The points with distances beyond the chosen tolerance could be debugged as red.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    John_StringerJohn_Stringer Member Posts: 6 PRO
    This would be a good tool to have, can you please add me to the improvement request list.

• Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    Here's the IR in case anyone else is looking for it: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10002/thickness-analysis-tool
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    What if you input the inside surfaces, then the outside surfaces, and created a "mesh" of points across each inside surfaces. Then, measured from those points to the nearest outside surface and returned the distances for each point. The points with distances beyond the chosen tolerance could be debugged as red.
    That has more promise than my idea.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    jumpjack_jumpjackjumpjack_jumpjack Member Posts: 18
    how do I add this sensor to my project? (total newbie...) Can it also be used dynamically in an assembly while animating a mate?
  • Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited February 27
    Sorry. Off track.
  • Options
    xTimRicexTimRice Member Posts: 59 PRO
    @jumpjack_jumpjack
    To add the feature to your toolbar you can click the + Custom Features button and then click the feature in the list:

FeatureScript is currently not available in Assemblies.
    Handcrafted furniture in Boston
    https://thesmoothcut.com/