Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Split and circular pattern - creating fresh parts instead of adding to existing ones

jess_robinson995jess_robinson995 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/66e35df8b883274015bd3516/w/6a9367fea43d2c2481654c54/e/9601c54702f847579121ea86 - version "V3.HUH" (as Im going to twiddle some more)

I designed a hoop for putting a binbag in, so far so good. I want to print it on a 20cm square 3d printer, so I needed to split it into pieces, and make connectors for those pieces, which got a bit more involved..

The "split across 2 planes" (subsequent splits) works fine, then I want to add clips to those pieces. "Outer Hoop Clips" (together with the Subtract/Add/Fillet following) work fine on one pieces, then I did a "Circular pattern" to add them to the other 3 split parts .. this was working (argh!, See V2), but now I've made the whole thing a little smaller (and added various variables), and now it doesn't.

The Circular Patterned features create new Parts, instead of being added to the existing ones.

You'll note (maybe) that I gave up on circular pattern completely for the Inner Hoop clips (that would ideally be a 270degree 3x affair), as it just refused to draw those features at all.

Any ideas??

Comments

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @jess_robinson995

The add and subtract of the pattern are not working because you are using feature pattern.  Feature pattern does not know how to adjust the merge scope of your features such that every pattern instance is correct, unless the geometry of each ring segment is also created by the same feature pattern. Here is it obvious to the human eye that you intend for the pattern to be operation on the next two parts around the ring, but there is no way for feature pattern to guess that programmatically since the creation of the other two segments is not part of the scope of the feature pattern.

There are a couple simple options of what to do here:
    Create the solid tool for your clip, and use part pattern to pattern that into the three places you want it. Then do the 6 booleans that represent adding and subtracting to each segment.

or

Just create one segment from the get-go.  Design the clip as a part, and use circular pattern to pattern it to the back of the segment.  Then add it to the front and subtract it from the back, then part pattern that segment around so that you have all three segments.

Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team