Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Copy part from one branch to another

stephen_allenstephen_allen Member Posts: 11
Good evening,

I'm this document trying to copy a more recent part "Bottom Stopper" from my main version, to a branch created previously (B1 140mm version). 

There seems to be no direct way to do this using the derive tool. As a workaround I've tried copying via another document, but OnShape is too clever and gives an error about the circular reference.

I've read the guide to using derived parts, but must be missing something.

Grateful for any assistance.

Steve

Answers

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 532
    edited March 11
    you can either merge your main workspace into B1, this would make the recent part available in B1 workspace. Or you can add a version on Main branch and derive from that version.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 262 PRO
    Onshape, if you're reading this, this might be a handy functionality to add. Move part studios to a different branch in the same doc with the "Move to Document" dialog. Not sure if there's already a reason it doesn't exist.
    Evan Reese / Agency Owner and Industrial Designer
    Instagram: @evan.reese.designs
    @Evan_Reese Could you please describe a workflow when it helps to have such a functionality?
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 284 PRO
    I'm not sure exactly what @Evan_Reese is thinking, but for me, I could see this functionality as a workaround for "selective merge" in some instances.

For example - I have an assembly and some part studios in my document. I create a branch (B2) to explore the addition of a new part in my assembly. After a while, I want to move my new part into the main branch, but maybe I made some changes in the B2 assembly that I don't want to keep. 

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 262 PRO
    I'm not sure exactly what @Evan_Reese is thinking, but for me, I could see this functionality as a workaround for "selective merge" in some instances.

For example - I have an assembly and some part studios in my document. I create a branch (B2) to explore the addition of a new part in my assembly. After a while, I want to move my new part into the main branch, but maybe I made some changes in the B2 assembly that I don't want to keep. 

yep. that's what I'm talking about. could be pretty handy.
    Evan Reese / Agency Owner and Industrial Designer
    Instagram: @evan.reese.designs
    Thank you for explaining the details. It seems that copy to clip board and paste can serve as a work around for this scenario.