Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Copy part from one branch to another

stephen_allenstephen_allen Member Posts: 19
Good evening,

I'm this document trying to copy a more recent part "Bottom Stopper" from my main version, to a branch created previously (B1 140mm version). 

There seems to be no direct way to do this using the derive tool. As a workaround I've tried copying via another document, but OnShape is too clever and gives an error about the circular reference.

I've read the guide to using derived parts, but must be missing something.

Grateful for any assistance.

Steve

Answers

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 692
    edited March 2020
    you can either merge your main workspace into B1, this would make the recent part available in B1 workspace. Or you can add a version on Main branch and derive from that version.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    Onshape, if you're reading this, this might be a handy functionality to add. Move part studios to a different branch in the same doc with the "Move to Document" dialog. Not sure if there's already a reason it doesn't exist.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
    @Evan_Reese Could you please describe a workflow when it helps to have such a functionality?
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure exactly what @Evan_Reese is thinking, but for me, I could see this functionality as a workaround for "selective merge" in some instances.

For example - I have an assembly and some part studios in my document. I create a branch (B2) to explore the addition of a new part in my assembly. After a while, I want to move my new part into the main branch, but maybe I made some changes in the B2 assembly that I don't want to keep. 

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    I'm not sure exactly what @Evan_Reese is thinking, but for me, I could see this functionality as a workaround for "selective merge" in some instances.

For example - I have an assembly and some part studios in my document. I create a branch (B2) to explore the addition of a new part in my assembly. After a while, I want to move my new part into the main branch, but maybe I made some changes in the B2 assembly that I don't want to keep. 

yep. that's what I'm talking about. could be pretty handy.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
    Thank you for explaining the details. It seems that copy to clip board and paste can serve as a work around for this scenario.

• rooiejorisrooiejoris OS Professional Posts: 13 PRO
    lana said:
    Thank you for explaining the details. It seems that copy to clip board and paste can serve as a work around for this scenario.

does it...!?
    I can copy to clipboard a part studio, but cannot see paste in the other branche. And when I paste with short keys I don't see a new part studio...?!

I (want to) use this as a selective merge as tim hess suggested.
    Works for me 
  • rooiejorisrooiejoris OS Professional Posts: 13 PRO
    Check! Thanks. Was searching on the wrong spot...
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 801 PRO
    @lana
    I have also frequently wanted to be able to move a tab to another branch within the same document.  I understand and use the copy method.  I often use branches sort of like separate documents.  I will branch from the main just before releasing a design and store parts, sub assemblies and drawings in there own branch.  Sometimes after manufacturing, a major change is needed and it suddenly becomes most efficient for some of the tabs to exist in the same workspace again.  My concern with copying is that the copied tab creates new internal identities for the items they contain where moving retains the identities and updating things in top level assemblies will get redirected to the new location.  What of this?
    @shawn_crocker
    That is not how branching is intended to be used. In our thinking branches are sand-boxes in which one develops an idea until it is ready to be brought into the main branch. You are absolutely correct that tab copy breaks associative references. If you want to logically separate released parts you can try Move to document functionality: 

Your assemblies in the workspace will automatically be changed to reference the moved out  part studio in the other document version.  If further changes are needed you can create a new version in the part document and update these assembly to reference the new version. 
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 801 PRO
    edited November 2021
    @lana
    I see.  It is close to the same thing to just move things out into there own documents.  When it comes time to make major changes, I have used a workflow where I move the tab back into the top level document to again reap the benefits of instant updating.  The problem I have found with this and is part of why I began trying to adopt the branching method, is that the "update to new document" seems to get stuck.  Moving forward, other completely different assemblies that have been referencing the tab that was moved out for changes and then moved back in, give the option to "update to new location".  Because this option gives you know feedback on what really is about to happen, it ends up allowing you to point to a document that does not even contain the tab.  And it seems, till the end of time, this notification gets stuck and is always available.

Edit:  I feel scared of merge.  I have watched the vids but I still feel concerned when hovering over the merge button that things are going to happen that I did not expect.  Things I want to keep here will accidentally get replaced with undesirable changes there.  As well, it seems the tab layout gets totally replaced in the recipient of the merge.  Many times a tab was deleted in a branch but still exists in my main branch.  When I merge, the tab is now deleted in my main branch.  Yes, merge scares me