Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How would I create an offset cam to make horizontal and vertical movement?

miko_kubiakmiko_kubiak Member Posts: 2
I am doing an automata and need to use an offset cam to make something in my automata move horizontally and a bit up and down. The only problem is that I do not know how to create this offset cam. Can somebody please help me?

Answers

• Options
    Eric_GauthierEric_Gauthier Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Can you add an image to explain what you mean? Can you find an image of a similar mechanism on the internet to show us?
  • Options
    jeff_buckjeff_buck Member Posts: 5 EDU
    edited April 2021
    I'm not the op but I think I have the same question.  Here's a short video clip (not my model but shows the idea):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYcm3Ml2vr8 
    A tangent mate between the cam on the left and the follower works (sometimes buggy but that seems to have resolved).
    That's rotational to linear motion.
    Can't figure out the rotational to rotational motion on the right.  Tried a tangent between edges.  That broke both revolute mates.  Now I'm considering not mating it but somehow driving the angle of the output revolute mate with the angle of the shaft/cam mate.

• Options
    OK, I may have answered my own question.  Looking through messages in an unrelated thread, I read about gear relations.  More reading in the help files and I learn there are 4 relations between mates that I did not know about.  I'm thinking a gear relation between the cam shaft's revolute mate and the revolute mate of the output shaft will do the trick but I don't have time to test it at the moment.

Sorry to take up forum space on a question it turns out I probably answered myself.  If anyone has a different idea that would work better, please let me know.
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the gear relation is what you're looking for. 
  • Options
    Yes, it was.  Thanks for the encouragement.
    I'm helping a student with an extension to an automata project our class is working on (OnShape has kept our Intro to Engineering class alive during the pandemic - Thank you!).  He could not get the gear relation to work so now I have a couple of tips for him.  I think it's fun to reach into new stuff with students.  I also don't mind letting my class see me struggle a bit and then learn something new.  Learning feels good and it's fun.  I think it helps them to see that happening.