Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Laser Etching

wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 478 PRO
I know there has been a fair bit of discussion on this subject but has anyone found a nice simple method to do laser etching on parts? For some of my parts, a simple sketch shown on a drawing will work, the company that does my laser cutting can add it in their program. However, layout marking becomes dimension critical and if I do a shallow extrude it shows what I want but they end up having to recreate the part to get a single line. They use DWGs with a cut layer and a etch layer for their lasers.  

Comments

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @wayne_sauder

You could try making a sketch of the centerline of the cut, and then s second sketch that references this sketch and makes a slot based off of it, and then extrudes that.  They you could configure your part studio so that there is one configuration with just the line sketch and the slot sketch and extrude configured, and another configuration that does not suppress those two features.

Would that work for your case?
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team