Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Using Tangent Arc

wolfganghwolfgangh Member Posts: 5
Hi,
I'm kind of new to Onshape, and I don't use CAD for business reasons, which means I'm not an expert at all :)
However, I'm struggling with the tangent arc command, which is not behaving the way I've seen it in other CAD programs.
This is what I want to archive: connect a tangent arc (to a line or another arc, doesn't matter), but be able to chose the direction of the arc.
e.g. drawing a vertical line, adding a tangent arc to the endpoint, but not the way Onshape suggest to do, instead the opposite way (concave if that makes sense).
Is there an easy way to do that?
Many thanks, Wolfgang

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    @wolfgangh
    Hi just keep finger on the mouse don't let go as this will finish command. Move mouse to left or right and the arc should invert to other direction. Then when happy don't forget to check menu and leave the tangent arc line!
  • Options
    Hi Peter,
    thanks for the quick answer. Unfortunately, this is not exactly what I'm looking for. I do know how to use tangent arc in general, but what do I have to do to get the bowing in the opposite direction (sorry, I'm not a native speaker, it may not translate very well)?
    If I draw a line from bottom to top, and I want to add a tangent arc from the top end of the line, I can get that to the left or the right, but always having the bow facing upwards. I do want to have a bow facing downwards (hollow?)
    Hope this explains it a little better.
    Thx, Wolfgang
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    Hi, Please find the below Giff image,

• Options
    @Narayan_K

thanks, this shows how it works with 3 point arc, and I'm able to do that as well. But what about the tangent arc (drop down the 3 point arc menu)?
    In Alibre, I can chose the direction by moving the mouse. Can't get this working in Onshape (and I bet, it's a stupid user error :( )
    Thx, Wolfgang
  • Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @wolfgangh the solution shown by @Narayan_K using the 3 point arc if I understand you correctly solves your issue, as you can see in his Video the tangent constraint gets activated when he moves up/down the arc, meaning is a tangent arc. 
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    Hi @nav, the solution @Narayan_K has shown works for some sketches, but not for all. I know there is always a way to get things done, but it could be an easy or more complicated step. At the moment, I'm still learning how Onshape works, and I'm comparing how I'm able to archive things.
    If you look at the picture below, the previously mentioned method with 3 point arc is not really helpful. You can still sketch this with some construction lines and diameters as I've done, but using the tangent arc would allow you to concatenate tangents, set radius and angle to get the same result bit easier (if you look at the R8 tangent, than R22 (20.01 degrees) and than R15 (20.07 degrees) etc.

Pic:

But as said earlier. I'm actually treeing to understand the differences and how Onshape works. So thanks for all of your replies!

Thx, Wolfgang
  • Options
    Hi,
    thanks to @andrew_troup, @nav and @Narayan_K
    I'm now able to use the tangent arc. It was most likely not just a simple reload problem as stated in the answers above, but also a situation in my sketch. If you look at the R22 tangent starting from the R8 tangent, you notice a construction line coincident to the R8 tangent. as long as this line exists, I can't use the tangent arc in a way I'd like, but after deleting the line, I can immediately use it as demoed in the animations above.
    So again, thanks to all for helping!