Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Standardizing Toolbars for Students

timothy_jumptimothy_jump Member Posts: 22
I'm setting up Onshape for an engineering class I teach. I would like to have Onshape set the same for all student users when they connect to the app (toolbars, etc.). Is it possible to do this?

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    It is not, however, the students would have to go out of their way to customize the toolbars differently so it will likely be the same for everybody.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    timothy_jumptimothy_jump Member Posts: 22
    Students do all sorts of accidental and curious-exploration changes. It is fairly easy to find the edit toolbar options and start making changes. Once they find this there ensues the "fun" of having to figure out what they did vs. resetting all to defaults; all of which are inefficiencies in a classroom that can be avoided if the toolbars, et. al. can be set and locked to maximize engagement toward the target learning goals. Moving to online learning and support, this could be a management headache extraordinaire. But, no option to set the toolbar is not unexpected.

Thank you for the quick reply.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    The toolbars are locked by default. You need to right click and enter edit mode in order to make changes.
    on top of that you can't do much else while in this mode, and you need to hit Save or Reset to have anything change.

I would argue there is no such thing as "accidental" changing of the toolbar. And extremely simple to undo and go back to default.
    It doesn't get much more "in your face" than this.

I do however know there is a bug that crops up with my toolbars after some Onshape updates. That will scramble my toolbar and remove items.
    Perhaps your student's experienced this bug.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    I would have them go to "My Account" under their name, top right, then Preferences, Toolbars, reset to defaults

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI