Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Quick question about a LOFT dilemma for a Covid project

peter_bloompeter_bloom Member Posts: 5
Attached are 3 screen shots of a Covid mask I'm designing. I need to loft from the front of the contour profile to a circle 10 mm in front of the contour. For some reason, there is a section in the loft that results in a weirdly twisted curve. I've added a center line 3D fit spline but that made no difference. I assume there is some way to guide or to create a path so the problematic section untwists, but I'm not sure how to make that happen. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 236
    Hello @peter_bloom,

Would it be possible to share the link to your document? 
  • Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    Lofts behave best if there is the same number of elements in all profiles. You may try splitting your circle sketch so that it has the same number of segments as the front edge of the mask part. You can use the "split" sketch tool.
  • Options
    Thanks for both of your responses! Here is a link to the document.

I have tried every combination of splitting, vertex matching, path, guides, etc. and can;t get rid of the twist. I even tried spl;itting the contour and circle in half so that I can more easily fix the problem and mirror the result. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but I am stumped.

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    As @John_P_Desilets said - avoid sharp points on lofts.  I was able to loft a surface around the outside without twist; although your splits on circle probably need to be changed for best surface..  Then thicken for wall.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    here is link to my attempt. 

www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    I REALLY appreciate the work you put into helping me with this. Definitely answers my question and I learned a lot at the same time. Thank-you very much!
  • Options
    John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 236
    @peter_bloom

Don't mention it. Please feel free to post some  pictures of your mask when it is done. Good luck!