Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Problem imported Step files

ricky_carstensricky_carstens Member Posts: 7
I am testing Onshape and have imported some Step files.
One works fine.
Another shows up right on the front page, but is wrong when I open the drawing.
A third shows up wrong on the front page, but shows up correct when I open the drawing.
The Step files are generated by Inventor and are from the same project.
The first picture shows the part that opens wrong but is correct on the front page. (Magasin)

The Bufferbånd01 is shown wrong but correct when I open it.

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    This depends on how you import it - if you don't change any of the import options, there should be a top level assembly with all the parts in the right place and a Part Studio with all the parts on the origin. If you "import to part studio" the parts will be in the right place in the Part Studio, but there will be no assembly.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • ricky_carstensricky_carstens Member Posts: 7
    Thank you.
    It does not answer fully. 
    I imported Into a single document, and changed nothing. And got the mentioned results.
    Now I tried to import as Combine to a single part studio. That did not work at first but then I closed and tried again, and the it worked and showed things correct.
    Then I tried to import again Import to a single document, and now I only have 1 strange thing. The one file shows up wrong in the My Onshape front page, but opens correct.
    I am testing Onshape to decide if we should change our current CAD, and we mainly import drawings so it is important that it works just as fine as our current CAD.

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Please bear in mind that it is a two-step process - upload and translate. Check the import notifications to check that the translation is complete before you open the document.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Also there are more than 1 tabs in the document. The thumbnail is looking at one of those tabs.

You can right click a tab and set it to be the document's thumbnail.
    I am sure there is an assembly in that document.

Click on the magnifying glass in the bottom left corner. That will give you a better picture of the document. With Thumbnails.

Here you can see an import that looks like yours, and the steps I took to find the main assembly, and set the tumbnail.

I now opened Onshape again, and now of the 3 Step files I imported the 2 shows (Bufferbånd and Magasin) up wrong in the preview front page but they show corect when I open them.

When they open correct it is better, but still not correct function.

The Thumbnail choise did the trick.

Thank you.