Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Strategies to Address Slow Regeneration Times?

greg_frost204greg_frost204 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited May 2020 in FeatureScript
I'm working on quite a complex model that is attempting to create a 3D spherical jigsaw puzzle.
I create a geodesic dome and then use featurescript to iterate over the edges and create puzzle cuts for each edge (thickened spline curves) with a view to subtracting these from a spherical shell.
It seems to all work fine, and if I apply the featurescript to an icosahedron (30 edges) I get the intended result.
If I attempt to apply it to a 320 faced (480 edges) geodesic, it spins for exactly 10 minutes and then displays an error like:
Onshape encountered a problem with your last operation. If the problem persists, please contact support. Support code bccaaf8c5e4b00444b953fd5.
If I adjust the script so that it limits the number of edges that it processed to 120, it seems to work fine and produces the expected result of 120 thickened puzzle edge shaped surfaces (with a regen time of about 3 minutes). Or 240 edges with a regen of 5.7 minutes.

So it seems that the error I am getting is just some sort of timeout because the regeneration takes too long.

Are there strategies to be able to create a complex model by splitting the regeneration into sections, and including them somehow?
I tried to do this in the one Part Studio by making my featurescript take parameters defining which set of edges it should process and using multiple instances of the script to specify all of the edges, but it ended up with the same sort of timeout error.

Comments

• Options
    kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    In custom features you can identify right down to the line where the regeneration time is being taken up with the FeatureScript profiler.

Take a look at the documentation here, and as always, let us know if you have further questions!

• Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 693
    You should be able to utilize rotational group, and pattern the bodies you are creating.