Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

im failing at lofting.

Jose_MontalvoJose_Montalvo Member Posts: 12 EDU
edited May 2020 in Community Support
Hello all,

So I have this lab assignment where I am designing a fountain pen nib and I need to use the loft feature. I set up some basic "sections" but I can not seem to get the loft to actually happen. How do I troubleshoot this?
Any help is appriciated.

I linked the file if comments work better. 
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/144f68ba1512fa8791f0e8f9/w/d0af06caadf3c7f828e19bb5/e/43a096464017a12b3af73bef

Tagged:

Best Answer

• John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 233
    Answer ✓
    @Jose_Montalvo

A closed profile has zero opening in the sketch.  Below on the left is a closed profile and will highlight the closed regions grey. 

Since this is most likely made from sheet metal, it might be easier to try making it from a sheetmetal model in Onshape. Create the body as an extruded surface. Use the sheet metal tool to thicken the surface to form the sheet metal part. In the flat pattern view, sketch the area you wish to cut to form the tip.  Below is an image of what I described. 

Here is a link to a few examples. If you have more questions on creating this as a loft let us know. Good Luck!

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3686d7b32f4c630fb79f2afb/w/2f682331618fa2512cce6151/e/a25050ecf9f2a104d7320485

Answers

Hello @Jose_Montalvo

Thank you for reaching out. Do you happen to have an image of what you are looking to produce for a final part? 

In order to create a solid loft, the loft profiles need to be closed. If the profiles are kept open, a surface loft must be created. 

This is a surface loft between some of the profiles from your example.  Can you describe how the feature should look? 

• Jose_MontalvoJose_Montalvo Member Posts: 12 EDU
    edited May 2020
     Do you happen to have an image of what you are looking to produce for a final part? 
    Hello @John_P_Desilets
    Here are some pictures.

source https://www.gouletpens.com/collections/replacement-nibs/products/lamy-steel-nib-black?variant=11884860538923
    In order to create a solid loft, the loft profiles need to be closed. If the profiles are kept open, a surface loft must be created. 
    So a closed loft profile is analogous to  how a circle is a closed profile? Or is closing a command I would do?

Would applying thickness to it also be considered closing it?
    Answer ✓
    @Jose_Montalvo

A closed profile has zero opening in the sketch.  Below on the left is a closed profile and will highlight the closed regions grey. 

Since this is most likely made from sheet metal, it might be easier to try making it from a sheetmetal model in Onshape. Create the body as an extruded surface. Use the sheet metal tool to thicken the surface to form the sheet metal part. In the flat pattern view, sketch the area you wish to cut to form the tip.  Below is an image of what I described. 

Here is a link to a few examples. If you have more questions on creating this as a loft let us know. Good Luck!

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3686d7b32f4c630fb79f2afb/w/2f682331618fa2512cce6151/e/a25050ecf9f2a104d7320485

• Jose_MontalvoJose_Montalvo Member Posts: 12 EDU
    Awesome thank you.